The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Power Benches

Old 04-28-2016, 08:35 PM

Default Bench height

My newly built smart table is now sitting on saw horses. I am planning on putting it on legs with locking casters to move it around. My table top basic height is 35". About 2" below my hip bone. For working comfort what do you guys prefer in working height? for long term use without excessive bending what is your table height? I am 5'11'' tall.

Btw, the multi form risers are about 3 1/2" high so when I use them it is about 38.5" high.

I know this is a pretty subjective thing but I want to get an idea before I make legs.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:59 PM

For breaking down sheets of plywood, I have a grid that sits on top of a pair of sawhorses - the top of the grid is about 28" off the ground. I find that his is a good compromise for reaching across when cross-cutting a sheet and not bending excessively when using the UEG. I'm 5'-10".

As far as a workbench, I just completed an adjustable height workbench (still need to add drawers underneath. The height of the bench adjusts from a low of 24-3/4" to a max. of 36-1/4" - the low height was picked to duplicate 2x4's and a piece of plywood on top of my sawhorses (my normal working mode until now) and the max height is a little higher that my table saw so it can double as an outfeed table. I've only used it for a few hours so far, but I think it's going to work out well,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3031.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	6841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4192.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	6842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4193.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	6843   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4155.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	6844  
Old 04-29-2016, 12:37 AM

Default that is a nice table

I love that jack.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:36 AM

Default OK, its done

legs are on with casters (two locking and two fixed non rotating) . Basic table height is 31". With Multi form kit in place it is 34". Top measures 48x24. I placed half inch ply between the tracks so it is as though they are inlaid and flush. Of course the end ones have to be free. This allows me to use the middle section of the table as a clamping table. I may make a removable clamping table top that is square and just attaches on top when I need it then stows away. It can be larger than just the center section of the table and will have track that is set up square.

The working height seems about right. I can easily reach across without getting stretched out with or without the MFT boards in place. Minimal bending over.

My next upgrade will be the B300 and some SME.

Now, I just have to make something other than the table itself. I have a 27 year old house and need to do a lot of work. New floors. Replacing wood fascia. Making patio furniture. Garage cabinets.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:10 PM

I built mine at 34". I'm 5'11" and can just reach across it safely for cross cutting plywood. I don't think an inch or two either way would make huge difference. Like you said, it's subjective. For me, safety and comfort are main considerations, more so as I get older. It's really about having the right tool for the job. A well designed and well built PBB makes even the most challenging cut a pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	975499e48c795dd6e9eeca3dcfeba184.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	6845  
Old 04-30-2016, 12:50 AM

Sorry, I missed the 38-1/2" height for the table with the multi-form risers. If you're planning to cross-cut whole sheets, this may be a little high. Being able to "reach across" is not the only requirement - there is a technique required to get a good clean cut using the EZ saw and track, and a good part of that is a smooth, even and uninterrupted cut along the whole length. If you find yourself reaching across the sheet, it's possible that you may not be able to achieve the smooth feed required for the best results. If you will only be cross-cutting narrower material, a higher top may be OK but I think that you'll find that 38-1/2" may be too high.

Building a PBB is the next project on my list, and I have drawn the plans up with a finished height of 34-3/4" but mya adjust that as I go along. The bench will be 4' long and 3' deep, but my plans are to use it for cutting material already ripped to width with the UEG, with the thought that the normal max would be 24" to match a standard base cabinet depth - although I can go a little wider if necessary. I've attached a print of my drawing for reference - I'm planning the same overhang on the ends as on my adjustable height workbench as I plan to use the same retractable casters. Because of limited space, I need to remove the track after use and move the bench against the wall so casters are a must, I've used the overhang to "cover" the casters so that I don't trip over them as I walk around.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PBB_Ver2.pdf (21.0 KB, 149 views)
Old 04-30-2016, 12:28 PM

Default my final height

with the multi form kit in place is 34". Very comfortable height for me. That included the added height of the casters.

your drawing looks VERY similar to what I ended up with. Used the same technique for making legs. Two 1x4's for each leg and 1x3 for my cross bracing. I have a shelf across the bottom braces. Adds a little storage space. I used 1x4 for the vertical surfaces that I will attach the SME and the bridge. Two laminated so total thickness is actually 1.5 x 3.5 ish since 1x4's re not really 1x4.

Last edited by RISKDR01; 04-30-2016 at 12:42 PM.