The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Power Benches

Old 12-27-2016, 07:04 PM
Default Picking a table

Hey all! First time post here!

I got a power bench for Christmas this year, but have not picked which one I want to order yet. I'm torn between the EZ-1 and the Festool for a couple reasons.

I'd really like to eventually have my shop outfitted in Festool equipment, so going with the Festool table seems like the right way to go initially. Problem is, I don't currently own any Festool equipment, track saw included. I also like the festool clamps and bench dogs that plug into the festool table.

My father has the EZ-1, and tells me that they sell an adapter plate that you can attach ANY circular saw to for the track. For that reason alone, I like the EZ-1.

I'm afraid if I go for the EZ-1 now, and then end up with a shop full of festool equipment, I'll wish I'd gone with the festool table.

Does anyone know if there's a commercially available adapter for the festool track? Or does anyone have a design they'd share to mount a "standard" circular saw to the festool track?
Old 12-27-2016, 09:20 PM

If it is your intention to buy into Festool and fill your shop with it, and you believe you can afford it or justify it then I would suggest you simply go with it.

If you have access to both you can compare them head to head and make that decision

If you already own a circular saw that you like then the EZ1 is the decision. If you have your dust/chip control system that you like then Festool has nothing to offer over the EZ system.

I am not certain what your actual concern is between the two systems, but perhaps if you have some specifics they can be answered here.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:32 PM

In mounting a Festool saw to an EZ Base in order to run it on the EZ track you lose too much functionality of the Festool saw. You lose a bunch of depth of cut and the same line bevel cutting ability.
You could likely mount a Festool track to an EZ1 and then use a Festool saw. I'm not aware of anyone doing this and EZ doesn't offer any adapter to do this. At one point Dino had a video of this where he just used one of the track mount bolts on the B300 to mount the Festool track. IMO it was a cheesy way to do it.
If you want Festool buy Festool. They make some really nice products and some that aren't so nice. A lot of aftermarket products available, some are very clever, they also seem to have good factory support and active forums.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:21 AM

My two cents...

What a great problem!

You will easily spend two to three times more on Festool. They have some great features but, IMO, the ROI just isn't there. Festool Kapex $1475 vs Bosch 12" Glide $600, Festool 2200 $900 vs. Triton Tra001 $280, Festool TS75 $780 vs. EZ Ready Makita 5008 w/72" system $529, and so forth.

With that kind of overhead, a $25,000 cabinet job becomes $35,000 and I don't make any more money or produce any better product. To me, it's akin to a man with a 21 handicap who thinks a $2000 set of golf clubs will make him a scratch player.

I admire Festool like I admire Rolls Royce. I've experienced them both. If you have everything else you want and money to burn, go for it. It's a great ride.

On the other hand, EZSmart won't break the bank and provides me with all the accuracy, dependability, and expandability I can ask for. Also, try calling anyone else for a custom part, piece, or package for that one-of-a-kind application you dreamed up. No one else is willing to even consider it. Check out the rest of this forum for examples of great imagination and application.

I'm a little biased because I like making money with my tools more than spending money on them. So, I want to get the right tool the first time. When the day comes that Festool is clearly the best tool for the job, I'll gladly pay but I'm not holding my breath.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 12-28-2016, 09:30 AM
Default doesn't say too much about attaching a non-EZ guide rail to the bridge, but it is mentioned in the EZ-One Video Instructions at about 31:30. It mentions two 1/4-20 nuts, bolts, & washers. The Festool rail simply rests on the bridge supports and the bolts go through the bridge supports.

Looking at pics of the Festool guide rail, it seems that there is a groove on the bottom that will accept a nut. I'm guessing that the nut slides into the bottom groove on the Festool and the bolt head and washer are on the bottom of the bridge support.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:11 PM

I will add a few things now that they come to me:

1. Festool wants you to use their blades with a 20mm arbor. Not sure if 3rd party are available
2. Festool's saw rotates about an axis such that the cutting plane when tilted is the same as when it is straight. So the anti chip guard serves the purpose of both cuts without adjustment.
3. Festool has containers... expensive but consistently sized and connect-able containers
4. I am yet to see any combination of saw and dust extraction system work quite as effectively as Festool
5. The Festool protractor on the MFT combined with the saw and dust extractor will just about replace a $600 table saw functionality for only about $2000.

Someone already quoted the prices of the Festool stuff. I assume you have had opportunity to work in your FIL's shop using the EZ-1? If not, go ahead and do it and get a feel for some basic tasks that you do regularly, or plan to do regularly in the style of wood working you plan on doing. You should have no problem finding a woodworking show/store/dealer that will have the Festool dealer come in for demo days a few times a year, and go and use them to do the same tasks. There is a different feel to the two systems, you may like one over the other.

If you have any degree of obsessive compulsive tendencies, then you need to lean toward Festool, so that all your tools are the same color, however, those same tendencies will cause you to want to buy every single tool they have. Good for them, expensive for you.

I am not sure if you plan on making money with your tools, in which case, i assume you will 179 the cost anyway so cost is not a factor.

On the EZ side:
1. You are not tied into proprietary blades (big thing to me)
2. The track seems much more strong, firm, stiff... (to me)
3. You can use whichever circular saw you like, multiple different ones perhaps for different tasks
4. I can't really speak to the tables since I don't have any of the 4 different ones I am aware of
5. I have found that setting the angle on the "square" for the system takes a bit more attention

In general:
1. There are plenty of tables with dogs and holding tools available to them not associated with either company
2. both systems have a saw guided by a track
3. both systems let you add track pieces together to make a longer track
4. Festool works with the model that once you are in their system they have all the tools you need
5. EZ seems to focus on their system, and lets you choose the tools you already own or choose based on the quality you desire.
6. Both systems let you put clamps under your track

You probably need to decide whether you are a woodworker or tool collector and what level of status you desire. Festool certainly has status, and you will see lots of youtube woodworkers using it. I have yet to ask a Festool owner how they liked their stuff without a positive response. So far I haven't really run into EZ users outside of this forum, though I keep trying... maybe they are just too busy making stuff to chat about it.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:27 AM

Not sure if you will see this, as you haven't been back since you posted. (I am thinking by typing that, you made up your mind)

First, can you give me a link to Festool's power bench? They have the MFT, that I am aware of but not the power bench.
Second, do you really need a commercially available bench, or are you already listing your wants, and better making it yourself? (start looking at the oldest pages and go from there. People can and do make their own benches based on their needs, and that might both be cheaper, and suit you better)
Third, holes in a workbench are nothing new. Look at old historic woodworking books, and you will see holes have been standard for centuries. Festool uses metric, and most of the USA, uses 3/4". 3/4" holes would allow you to use holdfasts, pipe clamps, large bolts, homemade stops, Kreg stops (which match Workmate stops), etc.
Fourth, I wish I knew of this magic adapter plate. Even it has limitation, as you would have to cut one in half for large saws, and then it wouldn't work with the UEG.
Lastly, the one thing I don't remember anyone here answering. I do not know of any, or anyone, making a commercially available mounting plate, to use a circular saw on the Festool rail. You might be able to do it, but I am not sure you would line up the edge with the antichip features of the Festool rail.

Hope you see this and it helps.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:42 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but how would one start that journey of building one's own table? I have some ideas, but I guess I am not sure the required parameters. I saw the one with all the boards on edge, and I saw the EZ-1 the I see the bridge alone. I am not sure the best starting point. Obviously in using the cabinet maker or the track with clamps there needs to be some void space beneath for such things. I guesss that changes with the EZ1 or bridge setup.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:23 PM

Start be reading here, lots of info. Hardest part and most important is identifying your needs.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:36 PM

my needs are to use the cabinet maker and the UEG. I am not sure shifting to the bridge gains me anything or just shifts my technical strategy.