The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Power Benches

Old 01-01-2017, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absinthe View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but how would one start that journey of building one's own table? I have some ideas, but I guess I am not sure the required parameters. I saw the one with all the boards on edge, and I saw the EZ-1 the I see the bridge alone. I am not sure the best starting point. Obviously in using the cabinet maker or the track with clamps there needs to be some void space beneath for such things. I guesss that changes with the EZ1 or bridge setup.
Between Shawn and and you answering your own question....
You start with your needs and then idea's.
Now, they say the system can be used can be used with each other, but looking at this site, it appears to me that the EZ-1 with bridge is more of a table saw replacement, that could work with larger or smaller pieces and uses stops to hold the wood in place.
The Cabinetmaker and UEG, tend to get used more with some other table, to break down sheet good. You can use the track and clamps to cut small pieces, but unless your apartment living, or starting out, I figure small pieces in that case, will be cut by other means (tablesaw, etc).
Do you need both? Seems to me that is more marketing then really deciding ones needs.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:44 AM

I think you have confirmed my suspicions.

So, not to sound stupid, it would appear what I need is something in the direction of the one with the boards on edge. But when I look for it on the website it says EZ1 Tabletop plastic extrusions. But when I look at the EZ1 it seems to be something that uses a bridge and a bunch of aluminum extrusions. So maybe all tables are called EZ1.. Then people say PBB or power bench, which just gives lots of names and concepts for similar and different things.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:41 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

PBB (Power Bench) was the term used for the original benches equipped with a bridge. EZ 1 is the latest edition of the power bench. We still use power bench to refer to benches equipped with a bridge that is not the standard EZ 1.

Also originally there was a wood and plastic table top known as a smart table. It was replaced by the multi form table which is an updated smart table using aluminum along with wood and plastic. I didn't find the multi-form table in the catalog. Both the kit for the smart table top and multi form table top are in the catalog. There is also a kit for the EZ 1 to be converted to A multi form table.

The multi-form table is used for cutting and routing. It is especially good for the UEG and cabinet maker.

Burt
Old 01-01-2017, 02:30 PM

Thanks Burt. that clears up a lot of things.

Do people make their own Multi Form Tables (MFT? like Festool's Multi-Function Table )

I will search for that here.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:30 PM

Ya, Dino insisted on calling it the Multi Form Table even after it was pointed out, on this forum, that Festool already had a MFT.

Quote:
Thanks Burt. that clears up a lot of things.

Do people make their own Multi Form Tables (MFT? like Festool's Multi-Function Table )

I will search for that here.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:46 PM

The Multifunction Table - like the Smart Table before it - is basically just a set of sacrificial 1x4 boards (3/4" thick material) sitting on their side - on which you place the material being cut. This does two things: it minimizes the amount of sacrificial material being cut and it provides room for the clamps underneath the material being cut.

The fact that the 1x4 boards slide allows the table to start small and then essentially expand to hold larger material - such as a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

You could make your own table by attaching 1x4 boards to a table surface using pocket joints, but they wouldn't slide, and thus the table might need to be bigger than the Multifunction Table or Smart Table.

On the subject of Power Benchs ...

It seems to me that all you really need is a table on which you attach a short lengths of SME on the front and another on the back - which are used to attach and square the bridge.

The twp other things you'll need from the Power Bench are (1) some kind of fence that is perfectly square to the guide rail, and (2) some way of placing stops so that you can make repeatable cuts. You might also want a way to be able to clamp material to your Power Bench.

The complexity of doing the above is what made me feel that the EZ-One was worth the cost -- to me, but certainly others here have come up with brilliant solutions for these needs.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:06 PM

It does shift your strategy somewhat. With the guide rail attached to the bridge and squared up to the fence on the table, use the stops to set cut length, and get to work. It's very efficient, accurate, and easy to set up.

With the cabinet maker, you still need a table which could be a couple of 2x4's across a couple of sawhorses. A PBB will cost more but setup is just as quick and a little more fool proof for accuracy once done, IMHO. Also, an inadvertent bump isn't as likely to knock it outof square.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:45 PM

as my tables do not have tops attached I can rig anything to try:

So I could actually add strips to my cross braces. Since I am not interested in manipulating 4x8 sheets, and at largest 35"x48" and my table base is 24x48 it seems big enough even if I have to add a little overhang..

Is the idea to cut with the strips or against them? Is there an optional space between them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shoptable.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	7012  
Old 01-01-2017, 09:54 PM

As Ken already mentioned the 1x4 strips are sacrificial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVek9wMdD9o

Quote:
as my tables do not have tops attached I can rig anything to try:

So I could actually add strips to my cross braces. Since I am not interested in manipulating 4x8 sheets, and at largest 35"x48" and my table base is 24x48 it seems big enough even if I have to add a little overhang..

Is the idea to cut with the strips or against them? Is there an optional space between them?
Old 01-01-2017, 10:04 PM

that video makes it look too easy And those are like a $40 item right now and I just attach them to a piece of plywood ?

http://www.eurekazone.com/SearchResu...zt2200&Submit=