The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Material Support Systems

Old 06-22-2012, 02:28 AM

Default Burt's Smart Table Designs - Questions

Burt:

One of your smart table designs has six flat SME's riding atop four B2B extrusions.

Questions:
1. How did you affix the SME's to the B2B extrusions, allowing movement of the SME's....

2. The long perpendicular fence against which you rest your long pieces of wood rests in a aluminum channel that rests in a dado cut into each wood support. I am having difficulty finding an aluminum channel with the same width as the plywood that rests in it. Is it OK to get a larger channel and shim in the plywood? or get a "L" piece and screw the fence to the L channel.

Your Second smart table design:
3. Another one of your smart table designs has what looks like 1/4" flat plastic bases that are screwed into 6/4 maple lumber as cutting supports; one end of each plastic base is affixed to the below B2B extrusion with a turn knob and a "connector". Please tell me what "type" and "thickness" of the plastic you used.

I want to meld together the two designs using the long fence and plastic bases.

You're design's are brilliant!!!!

Thank you for sharing !!!!

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Burt4.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	4691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Burt6.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	4692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Burt Table 2.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	4693   Click image for larger version

Name:	ST2.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	4694  

Last edited by RJS1948; 06-22-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS1948 View Post
Burt:

One of your smart table designs has six flat SME's riding atop four B2B extrusions.

Questions:
1. How did you affix the SME's to the B2B extrusions, allowing movement of the SME's....
The SME are attached with buttom head screws in the bottom of the SME. The other end of the screw is in a connector that rides in the back to back.

2. The long perpendicular fence against which you rest your long pieces of wood rests in a aluminum channel that rests in a dado cut into each wood support. I am having difficulty finding an aluminum channel with the same width as the plywood that rests in it. Is it OK to get a larger channel and shim in the plywood? or get a "L" piece and screw the fence to the L channel.

You could use almost anything for the Fence. Using the SSRK makes an exactr Dado EZ so whaytever you use will fit.

Your Second smart table design:
3. Another one of your smart table designs has what looks like 1/4" flat plastic bases that are screwed into 6/4 maple lumber as cutting supports; one end of each plastic base is affixed to the below B2B extrusion with a turn knob and a "connector". Please tell me what "type" and "thickness" of the plastic you used.

Promise not to laugh. Our local Big Lots had some Farber Ware plastic cutting boards. This is part of one of those. Thickness was just under 1/4". With this design, I screw a largeer scrap board to each upright when working with full sheets. I recently used this for cuttting several sheets and it worked great.

I want to meld together the two designs using the long fence and plastic bases.

You're design's are brilliant!!!!

Thank you for sharing !!!!

Rob

The Plastic and wood design is good for cutting. The SME can also be used for clamping. It all depends on the ultimate goal.

Burt