The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Power Benches

Old 01-27-2010, 08:27 PM

I'm new to this Power BenchTable concept, and I see the advantages over just a sacrifical table (accuracy, moveable guides), but I don't think I'm seeing the whole concept and am wondering about a few things.

Some questions:

1) How much are these DIY versions costing folks to make?
2) With all those tracks along the edges, I'm wondering about use as an assembly table, e.g., for square assembly of face frames. Is this something it's designed for, or just track cutting? Are there clamps that will fit the tracks?
3) Looking at even the ready made versions, they look small. Not clear to me how you deal with a 4x8 panel without it bowing past the table edges.
4) Is there more info somewhere other than the mfr's web page, which seems kind of uninformative about getting newbies oriented?
5) What is an SME?
6) What is a PBB?
7) What do the other 47 acronyms mean? Just kidding.

I have a few hundred additional questions but that will do for now . . .

Thanks!

Last edited by suobs; 01-27-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:23 AM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

First, welcome to the EZ forum. I'll try to deal with your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suobs View Post
I'm new to this Power BenchTable concept, and I see the advantages over just a sacrifical table (accuracy, moveable guides), but I don't think I'm seeing the whole concept and am wondering about a few things.

Some questions:

1) How much are these DIY versions costing folks to make?

A DIY version can vary widely in cost. As a minimum, you would need a sgs 70 (70" rail, a couple clamps, a saw base and some inserts), a bridge, a couple short SME's and a sheet or two of plywood. Cost would be about $500 but if you make the bridge that could be cut in half.

2) With all those tracks along the edges, I'm wondering about use as an assembly table, e.g., for square assembly of face frames. Is this something it's designed for, or just track cutting? Are there clamps that will fit the tracks?

All of those tracks can be used for clamping for assembly, routing, sanding, etc. I've used mine to hold pieces to cut them with a jig saw. Just today, I was using mine to assemble face frames. There are clamps made just for use with the EZ products. Usage of the Bench is limited only by your imagination.

3) Looking at even the ready made versions, they look small. Not clear to me how you deal with a 4x8 panel without it bowing past the table edges.

Eurekazone recommends cross cutting first. All of the PBB's can cross cut a sheet of plywood. Most of us start with the rail and square and then move on to the PBB. I do initial cuts on the smart table with a rail and then move on to the PBB.

4) Is there more info somewhere other than the mfr's web page, which seems kind of uninformative about getting newbies oriented?

Did you find the resources section on the Web Site.

5) What is an SME?

SME - Sliding Module Extrusion. This was originally designed as a combo clamping track and track for a moving module. This allows you to mount many other tools on the PBB and to Shift the top from side to side to make the best use of available space.

6) What is a PBB?

Power Bench Bridge - A term used for the entire bench setup - bench, rail and bridge would be the minimum.
7) What do the other 47 acronyms mean? Just kidding.

Ask Joe Myers

I have a few hundred additional questions but that will do for now . . .

Thanks!
I can understand that you have the questions. Feel free to ask and someone will find an answer.

Burt
Old 01-28-2010, 11:33 AM

Send a message via MSN to LarryS Send a message via Skype™ to LarryS

Hi

Welcome to the EZ forum, Burt has answered most of your questions. So I will just add that he is right when he says it is only limited by your imagination.

I do mosting home renovations, and have never built a cabinet, but use my EZ rail almost everyday.

Larry
Old 01-28-2010, 01:32 PM

suobs,

Being new to EZ stuff myself, I found the following glossary to be very helpful:

http://sites.google.com/site/ezsmart.../Home/glossary

Also, the above is from the "EZ Smart Knowledge Base" which has additional useful information. There doesn't seem to be a link to this from the Eurekazone site for some reason, but it's at:

http://sites.google.com/site/ezsmartknowledgebase/Home

Rob
Old 01-28-2010, 02:23 PM

Rob,

I started that site and tried to get volunteers to help populate it with articles, but other than the FAQs done by Howard Phillips when the forum was on SMC, no one other than myself has ever contributed. I have my hands full, so I haven't done anything to the site in ages. If anyone wants to contribute an article, please PM me.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 01-28-2010, 07:05 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the responses! I checked out those videos and it's starting to fit. Well, not the $$ but the concept!

I do see the imagination aspect, and what really caught my attention was the Bridge. However if I understand you right, to cut an 8' panel lengthwise even with the Bridge in the shop I would still need to use a long moveable track and sacrificial table top, correct?

Other questions (a sampling of the other few hundred!):

*My understanding is that the package systems Eurekazone sells (e.g., the Woodworker) that include the Smart Table all require the rail and saw and accessories like the repeater to be lifted and repositioned after each cut to move or remove the stock. They don't raise or stay attached to the table. Is that correct? The power bench is the tool that upgrades the previous systems to an integrated rail system with raising capability that stays on the table.

*Can the rail and Smart Base be used with the Festool MFT table?

*Can the Smart Base alone be used with a Festool rail?

*You mentioned use of the PowerBench for clamping . . . the Festool MFT seems designed to eliminate the need for a bench with dog holes (i.e., the holes in the MFT surface, which accept those bent clamps that let you hold things down to a known flat surface). How would that function be acheived with a Power Bench?

*Can the Bridge and Rail system be used with the Festool MFT?

*Are there any instructions available for building a Power Bench from the components? Since I've never actually seen one in person, there would be a lot of questions about positioning of the tracks etc.

*I didn't know I could build a bridge - again, any instructions floating around?

*Crosscuts of narrow stock - I imagine it's necessary without a bridge to support the rail underneath beyond the board edges with scrap?

*I did find the Resources section but it seems to be primarily sets of photos with little explanation to get me oriented.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:08 PM

Dik,

Thanks for setting up that site - even though some of the information may be old, it was still very helpful. From what I've read here, it sounds like a lot of useful information was lost at some point from SMC. That's too bad, as now it's sometimes hard to discern how some of the various Eurekazone products are used. Also, as I read in another post here, there seems to be a dearth of examples of the products' use in fine woodworking (i.e., not just breaking down sheet goods).

suobs - I'd take a stab at answering some of your questions, but I'd probably end up doing more misinforming than informing! I'll leave it to one of the experts here, and then learn some more myself!

Rob
Old 01-28-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate the responses! I checked out those videos and it's starting to fit. Well, not the $$ but the concept!

I do see the imagination aspect, and what really caught my attention was the Bridge.

When I started with EZ we did not have the PBB. Using our imaginations, the power bench has evolved to where it is today. Some of us have made bridges that will handle a 8' cut.

However if I understand you right, to cut an 8' panel lengthwise even with the Bridge in the shop I would still need to use a long moveable track and sacrificial table top, correct?

To do a 8' rip cut most people do use a a free rail. At this point, we are working on a system that will use the rail on the bridge with an extension rail and the SSRK to do long rips on the PBB. I have used this system and it works well.

Other questions (a sampling of the other few hundred!):

*My understanding is that the package systems Eurekazone sells (e.g., the Woodworker) that include the Smart Table all require the rail and saw and accessories like the repeater to be lifted and repositioned after each cut to move or remove the stock. They don't raise or stay attached to the table. Is that correct? The power bench is the tool that upgrades the previous systems to an integrated rail system with raising capability that stays on the table.

This is correct and using a free rail does have advantages. It is easier to position a rail than it is to position a 75 pound sheet of plywood.

*Can the rail and Smart Base be used with the Festool MFT table?

Probably but you would have to make a mount.

*Can the Smart Base alone be used with a Festool rail?

I don't think so. The distance from the guide portion to the edge of the rail is less on the smart base.

*You mentioned use of the PowerBench for clamping . . . the Festool MFT seems designed to eliminate the need for a bench with dog holes (i.e., the holes in the MFT surface, which accept those bent clamps that let you hold things down to a known flat surface). How would that function be acheived with a Power Bench?

All of the SME's on the top of a powerbench are open tracks and the Smart Clamps fit these tracks.

*Can the Bridge and Rail system be used with the Festool MFT?

I had a setup on my MFT but I don't remember what generation of the Bridge it was or how I did it. At most you need a board to mount between the side rail on the MFT and the bridge.

*Are there any instructions available for building a Power Bench from the components? Since I've never actually seen one in person, there would be a lot of questions about positioning of the tracks etc.

Most of us are a creative bunch. I'm not aware of instructions for building your own power bench.

*I didn't know I could build a bridge - again, any instructions floating around?

Again, you're on your own.

*Crosscuts of narrow stock - I imagine it's necessary without a bridge to support the rail underneath beyond the board edges with scrap?

Let's say you are crosscutting a 2" board with a 50" rail. Using scraps for support is the most practical way.

*I did find the Resources section but it seems to be primarily sets of photos with little explanation to get me oriented.

'Hope this helps. As a group, we tend to take a stock bench and then modify it to meet our needs. There is nothing like having a tool designed to do the job you are working on.

Burt
Old 01-28-2010, 11:32 PM

It did help, thanks. And I noticed some changes on the web page!

A few more questions for me to mull over.

*What is the difference between the Smart Square (in packages but I can't find a description) and the Sliding Square?

*Why is a tool for squaring not included in the "Freedom" package?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
It did help, thanks. And I noticed some changes on the web page!

A few more questions for me to mull over.

*What is the difference between the Smart Square (in packages but I can't find a description) and the Sliding Square?

Both terms refer to the earlier fixed square. There is no difference.

*Why is a tool for squaring not included in the "Freedom" package?
This package actually predates the square. Other packages include the square.

Burt