The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Power Benches

Old 04-10-2017, 12:15 PM

Default Digital protractor for EZ-1?

In this video, at about 11:10, Dino installs an iGaging digital protractor in the EZ-1. It seems like a custom item made specifically to fit in the EZ-1.
Does anyone know if EZ sells this item, or did Dino make it himself for this video?

the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNEZoeo7GTk

thx,
Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	digprotr.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	7078  

Last edited by whitemtntn; 04-10-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:10 PM

Default Protractor is not a product

That is an adaption that Dino did himself. Many of the videos were to highlight the overall flexibility of the EZ system, and demonstrate how the EZ owner can achieve table saw results with the safe EZ system.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philb View Post
That is an adaption that Dino did himself. Many of the videos were to highlight the overall flexibility of the EZ system, and demonstrate how the EZ owner can achieve table saw results with the safe EZ system.
that's what I suspected... so he bought a standard iGaging protractor and then did what... glued some extrusion to it?
It actually looks like he ripped a piece of guide rail? Just trying to figure out how he did it.

Last edited by whitemtntn; 04-10-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:41 PM

Even though it shows iGaging, the unit actually looks more like a Wixey

https://www.amazon.com/Wixey-WR410-8...tal+protractor

The video is from 2011, it's possible that it could be an older model. All current IGaging models show a flat stainless blade.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:20 PM

Cool

Hi All,

I was going to purchase a table saw miter guage and mount it to a jig such as what Tom G did in his posts. But I like the look of that digital protractor in Dino's video as well. Plus Dino's option would be more inexpensive as you can get one of those protractors for about 50 bucks US. ..... BUT I keep hearing that EZ is working on something along those lines so I am holding off for now to see what they come up with..... There is not a release date that I know of....just a "someday" thing.

I don't own a caliper yet. Any suggestions? I am through with cheap tools that are not accurate or durable. Would you suggest a digital version or something else. (I am getting older, so digital may be easier to read 8-) )
What should I expect to pay for a good caliper?
thanks!
Jim
Old 04-10-2017, 10:27 PM

I haven't heard of EZ doing any new angle unit/miter gauge but I wish they would. A fixed 90 and 45 would be a good start, like the GRS-16 guide rail square introduced not long ago but it doesn't work with EZ rails.

Some of us have adapted miter gauges to work with our EZ systems but it's not exactly a seamless process.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracedfar View Post
I haven't heard of EZ doing any new angle unit/miter gauge but I wish they would. A fixed 90 and 45 would be a good start, like the GRS-16 guide rail square introduced not long ago but it doesn't work with EZ rails.

Some of us have adapted miter gauges to work with our EZ systems but it's not exactly a seamless process.
One simple way is to do what's shown in the pics:
-slotted 'holder' slid into the side of the EZ track;
-framing square held in by one bolt Angle shown is 20˚, but any angle can be set. Entire assembly can be quickly relocated anywhere on the track. At 90˚ the square does not interfere with the saw blade. Etc.

Overall, pretty seamless.

HTH,
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3400.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	7079   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3401.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	7080  
Old 04-11-2017, 05:30 PM

Seems like a no brainer for EZ to make it as an accessory. Very useful and people would certainly buy it, I would think.
Maybe they don't because they don't themselves make digital protractors and would have to buy them first retail and then customize them? I guess that would be a pain in the arse.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:52 PM

Default Not a no brainer

Like you I thought this sort of product would be a no brainer. Still I have been informed that many of the other "No Brainer" products have been "No demand" products. I have pulled records of quotes saying "we want. . . " and the fact was that the need was met and the product made, the sales were just crickets chirpping. I am not at liberty to give any specifics, but the actual sales do not match the talk. I am aware that there is much open to interpretation. Perhaps the price was wrong, the design did not appeal, or ??? but there have been attempts and some have succeded, others have not. Just remember this business is expensive to operate and the products are not cheap by any stretch. Bottom line here is that I really have no idea what the answer is or should be. Perhaps, those members that want some thing, should talk to the company CEO and see what he wants before they will proceed. We can make a poll for members to participate in.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:34 PM

Don't know if they sell these anymore but this is what I did in 2009: