The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Cabinet Making

Old 02-20-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Mike, call me lazy but I never have to build any doors.
You can buy them ready to install from a door company.
Pre-finished and pre-drilled.
For the money that you have to spend on the wood you can have the doors delivered to your house.

Not fun but you can do other projects.
Dino - I can't be lazy for the doors. I bought enough rough sawn European steamed beech for the whole job. Plus, if you remember my youngest son that you got interested in several years ago (he helped build the aquarium stand) in woodworking is now 17 and is a great shop helper.

Mike
Old 02-20-2011, 03:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Mike, call me lazy but I never have to build any doors.
You can buy them ready to install from a door company.
Pre-finished and pre-drilled.
For the money that you have to spend on the wood you can have the doors delivered to your house.

Not fun but you can do other projects.

Can you get them unfinished? Would really suck to have to redo a project, due to them not matching (builder friend went through that years ago).
Old 02-20-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
Can you get them unfinished? Would really suck to have to redo a project, due to them not matching (builder friend went through that years ago).
Randal - Before starting the job my wife wanted a different species of wood besides the oak and maple most use. I found a local guy that was selling a big load of rough sawn European steamed beech - beautiful wood. I enjoy making cabinet doors so I purchased enough to do the entire kitchen - including the doors.

Mike
Old 02-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
Randal - Before starting the job my wife wanted a different species of wood besides the oak and maple most use. I found a local guy that was selling a big load of rough sawn European steamed beech - beautiful wood. I enjoy making cabinet doors so I purchased enough to do the entire kitchen - including the doors.

Mike

I got your reasoning, a happy wife is a happy home. But I am still asking Dino about his experience with predone doors, after a friend of mine, ended up out of pocket.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
I got your reasoning, a happy wife is a happy home. But I am still asking Dino about his experience with predone doors, after a friend of mine, ended up out of pocket.
Randal - for prefinished doors to order there is a place called Waltzcraft ( http://walzcraft.com/cabinets.asp ). My friend if re-facing his kitchen cabinets in maple and the place is making the doors and finishing them plus they are going to send him the stain and topcoat they used for the doors so his shop made face frames etc. match.

Mike
Old 02-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobson View Post
The closest I have towards cabinet building is the assembly of some flat pack custom cabinets for our bathroom. These cabinets use the EU style of construction and hardware, which I really like.

What I am curious about is how people are drilling for hardware on the cabinet and doors; the drawer glides and hinges.

Bruce
Well, Bruce, in most cases very carefully.

Acually, the only real concern is the main hinge hole in the door. I believe that is 1 3/8" and is often very close to the max depth possible without breaking thru the door. There are several jigs available for this. Also you could make a simple fence and use a drill press. Once this main hole is in place, the two screws are no problem. Mounting the doors to the cabinet is simple. Drawer glides are also normally easy to install. The procedure depends on the kind of glide you are using.

Burt
Old 02-20-2011, 11:25 PM

thanks Burt,
We hope to be able to build a wall unit w/ murphy bed and garage pantry cabinets in the near future so I was trying to learn a little bit about what I was getting myself into.
Bruce
Old 02-21-2011, 01:12 AM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobson View Post
thanks Burt,
We hope to be able to build a wall unit w/ murphy bed and garage pantry cabinets in the near future so I was trying to learn a little bit about what I was getting myself into.
Bruce
Bruce,

I think I have done all the projects you mentioned above. Just relax and have fun. All any project is, is one step after the other.

Burt
Old 05-01-2011, 02:04 PM

Default Cabinet Installation Video's

EZ users:

Here's a link to one of the best installation videos I've seen. This guy shows you how to install uppers & base cabinets and make them level thru out the room... I've used his levelers and love them.

http://www.ez-level.com/

As in the video I've "split" the laser beam in leveling the base cabs.

I'm not affiliated in anyway with the company... just a happy user.

Rob...
Old 05-01-2011, 02:49 PM

Rob these levelers are intresting not sure if iwould use them I set cabinets with a hilti pr16, rotating self leveling laser lay all the walls out for the cabinets first so I just measure down in the back and put the shim in. for thick shims the power bench makes cutting them easy. at $15 a set you would have to have a lot of cabinets to install to make up for the cost. When installing regular cabinets I only get $25 a cabinet.I also usually make about 50-75 dollars an hour on a install. If you had tons of cabinets to do by yourself then maybe you could make it pay. Shims are actually quite fast if you have a system. If you are building custom cabinets it is often easier to build seperate toe kicks put them in level and then put the cabinets on them. Time is money but right now I would rather buy the $2 shims and put the $15 a cabinet in my pocket. I have used leveling systems before I just found that shims put mor $ in my pocket. In 25 years I have never had to go back and fix a cabinet because a shim failed.

Andy

Last edited by toollovingschultz; 05-01-2011 at 03:00 PM.