The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Power Benches

Old 03-28-2011, 02:41 AM

Default EZ-one squaring with no squaring rod

I ordered the EZ-shop special on March 6, and on the 24th received most of the EZ-one part of it.
So I'd like to align that and use it with my old saw until the rest of my order arrives. (How long do orders usually take? It would be easier to plan if I had some idea...)

Trouble is, the squaring rod and its end brackets are not included, and the EZ-one is off a good 1/8", so it's not practical to saw much until I find a way to square the table up. A lot of the obvious hacks I've considered result in a diagonal brace that might be in the way for future uses of the table.

Have others solved this problem? Seems like some of the photos don't show the squaring rod, so there must be other ways that people have used.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegadgeteer View Post
I ordered the EZ-shop special on March 6, and on the 24th received most of the EZ-one part of it.
So I'd like to align that and use it with my old saw until the rest of my order arrives. (How long do orders usually take? It would be easier to plan if I had some idea...)

Trouble is, the squaring rod and its end brackets are not included, and the EZ-one is off a good 1/8", so it's not practical to saw much until I find a way to square the table up. A lot of the obvious hacks I've considered result in a diagonal brace that might be in the way for future uses of the table.

Have others solved this problem? Seems like some of the photos don't show the squaring rod, so there must be other ways that people have used.
hi dave, the squaring rods (2) was redesigned and shipped today with all the other stuffl. you need 2 rods and we had to make a new design to make them faster and without damaging the tracks when installing, removing for portable use.

I will post the pic's today.
tx
Old 03-28-2011, 10:51 AM

Smile E-Z One Squaring

I had the same issue when I got my EZ-One last week. A note to Dino brought the reply that some new-design braces were in the works. I need the PBB today, so, I had to get creative.
The PBB is too tall for me anyway, so I took the legs off. Then, I cobbled together some short cabinets I had sitting around to basically make an assembly with the tops acting as a platform, about 2' wide x 4' long. I set the PBB on top of this platform. From there, I spaced the PBB up with some 2x stock, which I screwed to the platform top, anchoring the PBB thru the holes in the former leg brackets into the 2x stock. As I anchored it, I pulled it square.
So, my table is square, it's lower (nice for me), and, I've got shelf storage on three sides underneath.
A quick, temporary solution, if you don't happen to have any short cabinets, would be to follow the same principle, using a piece of plywood on some sawhorses. Set the PBB top (sans legs) on the ply; cut some 2x material to screw to the ply, between the black end brackets (23 3/4", tight, on my table); fasten the PBB to the 2x material, squaring as you go.
Then, when the new squaring brackets are available, you can reconfigure the PBB using them.
Rick
Old 03-28-2011, 03:49 PM

Thanks Rick and Dino!
Sounds like my parts should be here in 2 weeks or so, good to know!
But meanwhile, I'll see if I can work up something like Rick did so I can get started.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:41 AM

I stretched wires on the long diagonal, using the extra screw hole near the leg attachment places, and used a turnbuckle to shorten the wires until all was square. Any method similar to this must bend the side extrusions a bit, but maybe it's not enough to affect anything that matters. I guess only the sliding SMEs would be affected, and not so much.
Without the diagonal wires, the original state of the table was off by about 1/8" at the end of the 12" square I used. The wires seem to stretch slowly, so I have to check and adjust now and then. Probably that will stabilize with time. I put a thin wood shim where the wire crosses under the crosswise brace to prevent noise and wear. Now to mount my old saw on the base and get it lined up.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
hi dave, the squaring rods (2) was redesigned and shipped today with all the other stuffl. you need 2 rods and we had to make a new design to make them faster and without damaging the tracks when installing, removing for portable use.

I will post the pic's today.
tx
I know this may not be the place to get an answer to this question but I'm going to ask here anyway. I will call if I don't get an answer.

I am planning on ordering an SSRK in the next couple of days. I seem to remember some mention of an upgrade for the EZOne that uses an SME (?) as the bottom brace instead of the aluminum bar. I also see the redesigned squaring rods mentioned above.

If I ordered an SSRK, would these upgrades be ready to go so they could ship with my order? If not I would hold off ordering my SSRK until these EZOne upgrades are ready.

Tags
alignment, ez-one, squaring