The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Power Benches

Old 12-19-2012, 04:35 PM

All, I just realized I started a thread that was a repeat of a thread Dino started titled "10 ways not to cut the fences..." (Last post was 5-23-12). It covered same discussion as below and more.

So far, I've managed not to cut my SSME which is good since I'm still trying to decide the best location for my track. Sooner or later I'll end up cutting into the SSMEs. ...maybe by accident and maybe too deep, but it will happen. If I cut too deep, I expect I'll want to finish the cut through the SSME and then connect the two pieces back together.

In the other thread, Dino mentioned "flat side connectors" which seems like a good option since side connectors still allow the SSME to slide (Or am I wrong and the connector will still catch the top of the Sliding Fence Bracket.

Are "flat side connectors" a special connector or just 1/2" X 1/2" bar stock. If bar stock, will alignment be a problem? If not bar stock, where do I purchase "flat side connectors"?

Additionally, Burt suggested "milling the ssme's and dropping a sme to replace the foam beam". What about using a sacrifical 1X instead of a SME?

Forrest
Old 12-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody12 View Post
All, I just realized I started a thread that was a repeat of a thread Dino started titled "10 ways not to cut the fences..." (Last post was 5-23-12). It covered same discussion as below and more.

So far, I've managed not to cut my SSME which is good since I'm still trying to decide the best location for my track. Sooner or later I'll end up cutting into the SSMEs. ...maybe by accident and maybe too deep, but it will happen. If I cut too deep, I expect I'll want to finish the cut through the SSME and then connect the two pieces back together.

In the other thread, Dino mentioned "flat side connectors" which seems like a good option since side connectors still allow the SSME to slide (Or am I wrong and the connector will still catch the top of the Sliding Fence Bracket.

Are "flat side connectors" a special connector or just 1/2" X 1/2" bar stock. If bar stock, will alignment be a problem? If not bar stock, where do I purchase "flat side connectors"?

Additionally, Burt suggested "milling the ssme's and dropping a sme to replace the foam beam". What about using a sacrifical 1X instead of a SME?

Forrest
"Flat side connector" - Dino is referring to the regular connectors as opposed to the ridged connector. Dino has the connectors.

With my idea of milling a slot for the SME, a piece of 1x will also work.

Burt
Old 12-19-2012, 10:55 PM

Burt,

Dino's original post that started the other thread listed 3 types of connectors:
- Ridge EZ Connector
- EZ Connector
- flat side connectors

Are you sure sure the flat side connector is the same as a regular connector?

Note: Link to his post is http://tracksawforum.com/showpost.ph...25&postcount=1

Forrest
Old 12-20-2012, 12:31 AM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody12 View Post
Burt,

Dino's original post that started the other thread listed 3 types of connectors:
- Ridge EZ Connector
- EZ Connector
- flat side connectors

Are you sure sure the flat side connector is the same as a regular connector?

Note: Link to his post is http://tracksawforum.com/showpost.ph...25&postcount=1

Forrest
Forrest,

I stand corrected. I have no idea what he is talking about. I don't ever recall hearing that term before. A wild guess would be a piece of plain bar stock.

Burt
Old 12-20-2012, 04:30 AM

What I think Dino was talking about at that time was with
two sections of ssme with connectors from the bottom
holding them to the size of the cut line or your blade used.

The only thing I can think of is to use double thick inserted
3/4" ply. For a set width this works out fine but takes away the sliding
to fit so I guess not a good idea after all.

Tags
cut, ez-one, fence, ssme