The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > How-To

Old 12-30-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protective1 View Post
tomp913 - not sure I can picture what you're describing. Do you have a sketch or photo you could post?
Here's a very rough sketch of what I was trying to explain, it would just need two holes drilled through the saw base. I'd originally said to use a leveler but a carriage bolt would work just as well and more likely to have one lying around.

A miter saw is definitely the way to go when installing trim; as mentioned, you have the ability to easily "tweak" the miter when the standard 45 doesn't fit. Coping joint takes a little practice, although it's easier to learn on base molding rather than crown. If you're planning to do a lot of coping, you may want to look at the Collins Coping Foot. It takes a little practice but you can really knock the copes out once you learn how.

Tom
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EZ Outrigger.pdf (231.1 KB, 120 views)
Old 12-30-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protective1 View Post
However, it does take a long time to do the coping by hand - maybe just due to lack of experience?

Rick - are you using EZ parts to make your outrigger? If so, do you have a parts list and / or assembly instructions? Or are those parts I could make or get at a hardware store?

I appreciate everyone's videos and photos. Does anyone feel like posting a diagram showing how to make their outrigger? It looks like you guys have put some good thought into your current designs and I hate to reinvent the wheel.
Yes, coping joints does take a bit longer, but, it goes faster, the more you practice. Plus, when done carefully, it gives the best results possible.

Re. making outriggers: the principle for any variation on the theme is the same: moveable 'arm', attached firmly to the saw base, w/a 'lip' that hooks into the side groove of the EZ track.

Pic one shows the set-up on the main saw I use on the EZ One: custom moduni base, utilizing some EZ T-track and a bit of track connector. The track connector slides in the T-track and has a threaded stud in the topside, to allow a clamp-down knob; on the end of the track connector is screwed a piece of aluminum "L", modified/adjusted to fit the EZ track side groove.

Pics 2 and 3 show a version utilizing stuff you might already have lying about the shop: couple of bolts/nuts/washers, and some scrap wood. Pic two shows the saw on it's EZ base, w/a bolt thru the bottom, recessed so as to not interfere w/the saw base sliding smoothly on the EZ track. Over that bolt, is a slotted piece of Baltic Birch ply which is clamped down w/a threaded thru-knob (a simple nut would work also). At the end of the slot is another bolt, w/some spacers (wood/washers/whatever) to allow a large washer to be a 'lip' that engages w/the groove on the side of the EZ track. Pic three shows the 'lip' end of the Baltic Birch.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outrigger 1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	6560   Click image for larger version

Name:	outrigger 2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	6561   Click image for larger version

Name:	outrigger 3.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	6562  

Last edited by bumpnstump; 12-30-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:03 PM

I think Rick needs to be running EZ's Good Ideas We Need to Make Department
Old 12-30-2014, 04:21 PM

After all these years, I can't believe that EZ has not come up with a better system for cutting bevels. Why do guys like Bumpnstump (love the ideas he comes up with) have to come up with our own solutions for this kind of stuff?
Old 12-30-2014, 07:33 PM

My feeling has always been that EZ was developed primarily to cut 3/4" material to make cabinets. Panels for the boxes and thin stock for face frames. Square cuts in 3/4" material. Not much need for bevel cutting making cabinets. So things like DOC and bevels weren't a big priority. Not sure what's happening with EZ now under new management but new features don't seem to be on the list.

Tags
angle, ez-one, miter, stable, unstable