The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > RipSizer

Old 09-24-2017, 09:32 AM

They can be cumbersome, and it depends on what your doing so they have a place.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyToys View Post
I still have two pairs of the original fixed squares, they work well.

I used the repeaters when I needed very accurate repeatable cuts. Again, I have the original version, but I had made a number of changes to get them to be repeatable repeaters. Some of those mods may help with tightening up the new versions or get you to think about ways to get yours where you want.

http://www.tracksawforum.com/showthread.php?t=4390

And yeah, there’s a lot of metal twirling around.
What are the original "fixed squares" sounds like something useful. Is that the thing that Dino shows in the video. where he makes a line, detaches and flips it and show's that it is still square? If that is a real thing, it sounds more useful than the thing I got with the cabinet maker. Any technique available to make the conversion?
Old 09-24-2017, 03:41 PM

I have the original 90-degree only EZ Smart Square too. Attached are the instructions PDF files that I had downloaded.

When my son had decided to build bat houses for the local park district as part of his Boy Scout Eagle project I used this thing to cut what seemed like thousands of scoring cuts on the interior surfaces of the plywood panels - so the little bat feet can grab onto the surfaces. I didn't let the boys do it because it was so tedious I was afraid that they'd do something dangerous in their boredom induced stupor.

I really like the EZ Smart Square, but depending on my mood I can use or leave off the handle. Sometimes I think it just gets in the way.

I used a 25" length of rail with the Square, but today I think that's a tad short for my ongoing needs. I think a 36" rail would do better, leaving room for a "landing pad" for starting the cut and enough length for cutting 20-something inch panels.

BTW, the boys did all the other cuts, construction, and installation, and the boxes are now home for hundreds of happy little critters.

Ken
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EZ Smart Square Instructions.pdf (179.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf EZ Smart Square Squaring Instructions.pdf (340.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 09-24-2017, 07:32 PM

Wow, that sounds more useful than the adjustable angled one on the cabinet maker.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:13 PM

I can see why the current EZ Smart Miter Square would be considered a step up from the older EZ Smart Square, since it gives the user the option of using angles other than 90 degrees.

I think that for the most part my angled cuts will be done using a sliding compound miter saw. If I need other angled cuts I'll use my EZ-One.

Ken
Old 09-25-2017, 12:06 AM

Yep, those are the ones I have, shown in the pdf.

Here's the screwy thing. I've moved most of the work I do to Mafell saws, but also work with some Festool equipment too. One of the things that both of the groups really wanted, and now there are two companies making them, are non-adjustable 90 degree guides that are dead nuts on every time they need to cut square. With the Mafell kit, it comes with an adjustable "square", but with any adjustability you have movement.

The original should have been kept in the EZ product line .......
Old 09-25-2017, 07:13 PM

So, from someone who has both, how hard would it be to convert the adjustable one to one that would always be dead nuts on 90°?
Old 09-25-2017, 09:18 PM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Yep, those are the ones I have, shown in the pdf.

Here's the screwy thing. I've moved most of the work I do to Mafell saws, but also work with some Festool equipment too. One of the things that both of the groups really wanted, and now there are two companies making them, are non-adjustable 90 degree guides that are dead nuts on every time they need to cut square. With the Mafell kit, it comes with an adjustable "square", but with any adjustability you have movement.

The original should have been kept in the EZ product line .......
I like the old one BUT...we had few issues.
The newer is OK and no blames.

What we need is a new EZ.
I like your bench.

tx
d
Old 09-25-2017, 11:07 PM

I don't have both versions, I have two of the original. They were machined to be accurate, so it's not something that you're going to do without a mill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2853.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	7227   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2854.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	7228   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2855.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	7229  
Old 09-26-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I don't have both versions, I have two of the original. They were machined to be accurate, so it's not something that you're going to do without a mill.
Maybe I will get lucky some day...