The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Display Case

Old 07-12-2018, 08:46 PM

Default Bed project

Here's a bed I just finished, made out of "character" cherry with sapwood and interesting grain patterns.

The track saw was invaluable in making the tapers on the legs easily. Also, connecting two tracks to make a longer track and using the Smart clamps to cut the support board (for bed slats) for the side rails was great. I had to glue up two pieces and cut it again to make a 2"x3" piece for each side (to support the bed slats, not shown). Having the 8 1/2" Makita was necessary, too, due to the thickness of some of the pieces.

Other construction is loose tenon joinery using 3/8" tenons to join the head and footboards to the legs. The mortises were made using the Bessem mortise mill.

There's a neat way to set this up so everything stays clamped and exact. Here's the method I used in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dof8dytydX0 I was able to clamp the legs and the boards for the head and footboard in this quite securely. Everything came off without a hitch once I attached the mortise mill upside down on a shop cart like he shows. Sure to use this again. I've had some experience with a Domino (not my own) and liked this better for this application since it was like a horizontal mortiser with very secure clamping. All the mortises came out exact, so everything was nice and square.

The "character" cherry was quite a good bargain at Rockler.

The mortise mill was discontinued and didn't get good reviews due to clamping issues. I bought it on closeout long ago and didn't use it much. But this method solved those problems and then some.

Here are a few photos showing the whole bed, the figure in the headboard, the headboard posts, and one of the tapered legs. The legs are tapered on all four sides, thanks to my tracksaw. If you want to see how to do this. there is a video of Laney S. demonstrating it using the ez one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDkgHJYYkrk&t=226s Worked great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bed.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	7409   Click image for larger version

Name:	headboard figure 1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	7410   Click image for larger version

Name:	headboard post 1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	7411   Click image for larger version

Name:	leg taper 1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	7412   Click image for larger version

Name:	headboard right1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	7413  

Last edited by Goblu; 07-13-2018 at 03:28 AM. Reason: add photos
Old 07-13-2018, 07:12 AM

Way to go Katie, great looking bed...

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 07-13-2018, 10:18 AM

Wowza Katie!! That is awesome.

I'm thinking that the mortise joints might be made with the Super Smart Router Kit, but the only complexity would be how to position and secure the thick material under the SSRK.

If doing that I assume using plywood "splines" would be stronger than natural wood, correct?

Last edited by kenk; 07-13-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:37 PM

Thanks, kenk and Dik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk View Post
Wowza Katie!! That is awesome.

I'm thinking that the mortise joints might be made with the Super Smart Router Kit, but the only complexity would be how to position and secure the thick material under the SSRK.

If doing that I assume using plywood "splines" would be stronger than natural wood, correct?
It took some figuring to see what I'd need to position things and of course I considered the SSRK.

The problem with using the SSRK is that the boards for the head- and footboards are so long and making a mortise in the end of them you'd have to either have the router be positioned horizontally or put everything up on a ladder. It would work ok for the legs at ground level, since the mortises go into the side of them.

The Mortise Mill uses a dedicated drill bit, which you go side-to-side with. Even with that, a drill is not designed to go side-to-side and it was hard doing it that way. So instead, I used a standard bit first and drilled holes side by side, then used the Jessem drill bit to go side-to-side to clean up the mortise. This speeded things up a lot. Instead of a cordless drill, I also used a Dewalt corded drill which has more oomph!

Good suggestion about the plywood splines. I got a bunch of loose tenons in cherry and walnut when I got the Jessem jig, also on special. When these are used up, I may try some plywood. I used lots of glue on the tenons.

Last edited by Goblu; 07-13-2018 at 01:42 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-31-2018, 01:49 AM

Default Welcome back Katie!

it must have been 2 years since you posted anything I have always enjoyed you sharing your projects with us. hope you have been well. tom
Old 09-01-2018, 01:59 PM

Thanks, Tom. I had some tendon/joint issues, which have resolved well enough to do woodworking now, though I can't overdo it. So, no more blitzes to get things done. Slow and steady will get the job done, like a turtle, not a hare. It's a hobby, after all .

Tags
bed, cherry, jessem mortise mill, project, tapers