The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Home Renovations

Old 06-05-2015, 02:08 PM

Default Stairway redo

I've been wanting to do this since I bought the place & I'm finally starting on it. I have some questions I'm hoping you guys can answer.
So here is a shot of the existing stairwell from the top down. They turn 90 at the bottom & there was a door there. Quite impractical unless you only have a twin size bed!
Old 06-05-2015, 02:11 PM

So I wan to remove the parts marked in red. Basically make a knee wall/hand rail out of the wall on the left & get rid of that doorway & open it up so it follows the rafters to the outside wall. Making it so I can get a king size bed upstairs if I want.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:18 PM

I opened up the "boxed" in part by the door no problems there it's just a frame they plastered to. However that's a 2x8 in the foreground that runs along the top of the wall it looks like it is a supporting member. So my plan was to turn that into a beam by adding 2 more 2x8's to the side of it & supporting it further back prior to removing the existing wall of course.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:38 PM

I was hoping the 2x8 was running all the way back to the other end of my entry way unobstructed but it isn't. Okay so the red line is the 2x8 the blue line is another 2x8 from well honestly I can't really tell since it doesn't line up with another wall but it does go to about the midway point of the living room entrance could just be sitting on top of the doorway header. It's 10' 8" from the blue 2x8 to the end of the red 2x8 sitting on the front wall top plate.
If I add 2 2x8's to the red one & support it where they meet the blue 2x8 should be good enough? I would think that would be stronger than what's there now. There's no "living space" above that area, the basement stairs are parallel/under these stairs.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:41 PM

My main question is regarding the knee wall I can't find any clear specs on height of said wall.

I did find this pdf on stairways.org
according to photo 36 on page 12 it shows minimum as being 34" which is fine just curious if that is right?

http://www.stairways.org/Resources/D...20download.pdf
Old 06-05-2015, 02:51 PM

Looks like a totally fun project!!

Might be money well spent to open everything up and call an engineer in to advise. I've been doing this kind of construction work for >45 years and the advancement thru those years in available materials and approaches makes me think that my 'early' years were back in the 'dark ages' by comparison to some of the construction today.

A bit over 3 years ago, I began remodeling the house I am currently in. Most of the projects have been fairly basic and straight forward. Recently, I began to 'lean-on' an engineering buddy of mine for feedback on selected projects. What an education and enlightenment! Stuff I normally wouldn't think about, but pertinent: anticipated weather in my area that will affect the building(ie. planning for the 'worst-case-scenario'); diminishing structural value of lumber from what it was 20-30-40+ years ago; man-made structural beams/posts/other-options; when is steel a better option than wood, or, visa-versa; existing structural factors one wouldn't normally consider being affected by anticipated work, but are; alternatives to 'normal' construction techniques; etc.; etc. I'm beginning to feel like a 'newbie' in my own trade...... lol.

If you don't have an engineering buddy who can 'donate' his time, it shouldn't cost much to hire one for an hour or two. Also, in most communities around here, City codes demand an engineer's stamp on structural related work.

FWIW,
Rick
ps please keep us posted w/progress.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:05 PM

Thanks Rick! Yeah I've been thinking about an engineer but t tell you the truth I haven't looked into yet. I'll have to call around I'm sure the city has one not sure what they charge though.

I'm still tearing out the plaster & lath which totally sucks. I did it once before 9 years ago & I didn't remember it being this hard on me!
Old 06-05-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vondoom88 View Post
Thanks Rick! Yeah I've been thinking about an engineer but t tell you the truth I haven't looked into yet. I'll have to call around I'm sure the city has one not sure what they charge though.

I'm still tearing out the plaster & lath which totally sucks. I did it once before 9 years ago & I didn't remember it being this hard on me!
Mark, most residential-oriented architects will have an engineer they recommend.
RE: work being harder: amen, brother, amen........
Rick
Old 06-05-2015, 04:53 PM

Default Wait, be careful

Mark. Please consult your local building codes and have at least a experienced contractor advise you on this. Think hard about getting a permit.I am not saying not to do the work yourself. It is very fun rewarding work. But their are many unknown factors for you. Are you reducing the shear factor? Header/beam factors all need to be correct. Stairs are one of the most fun projects. But also have the many codes. I do many many remodels here in San Francisco. The codes alway change. When and if you decide to sell the house this kind of remodeling without a permit can really come back to haunt you.

Just make sure to cover yourself. One trip/fall on a set of illegal stairs from anyone. Can be very very costly.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:04 PM

Tmyoung,
No worries my neighbor is a contractor & I'm looking into having an engineer check it out before I remove anything other than the plaster. Still in the demo phase right now. I figured it would be best to it looked at when you can actually see everything. Permit was only 20 bucks so far but that might change depending on what needs to be done.