The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Package design advice

Old 01-30-2016, 12:55 AM

Default Ideal number of saw teeth

Looking for the cleanest cut I bought a blade for my 7 1/4" makita circ saw dedicated to my ezsmart system with lots of teeth for plywood, but actually found that a 40 tooth blade worked better.

What gives? Is the some ideal tooth count and because of the zero clearance on either side of the blade do I need to worry less about tooth count when desiring a clean chip out free cut on either side of the blade?
Old 01-30-2016, 05:20 AM

Default Tooth count matter little.

The tooth count is misleading. You need a tooth type more than a high count. If you are using a 10 inch or 12 inch blade then 60 to 80ish tooth count will be important due to the larger circumference. When cutting melamine covered particle board, high quality veneer, phenolic laminated plywood, baltic birch, apple ply, and others, you need a HATB carbide blade. That stands for High Alternating Bevel. When a pro is trying to get a better cut, he matches the bevel on the tooth to the materials he is cutting. The second choice is Triple Chip carbide tooth blade. You will find a lot of Freud or cheaper Irwin lins use just an ATB (alternating bevel) which are OK but they will have some tear off. I do not sell as many blades as I used to, due to fewer Pro cabinet builders. I would not suggest a thin kerf blade. If you want good clean cuts, avoid blade wobble (thin kerf) and double check for straightness in mounting. Try the search for blade mounting. There is a way to read the saw mark patterns that will tell you if your blade is mounted wrong.
HTH.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:36 PM

Thanks, Phillip, for the refresher in saw blades. I personally don't experiment that much with blades but when I do, this is the info I have to re-read to get past some of the advertising hype.