The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Package design advice

Old 12-28-2011, 06:21 PM

Default Incra Miter is self-clamping

I set out to make one of these as Burt had described it, I thought, but must have done something different because this one ends up being clamped both in angle and in position by twisting the round black handle.

I removed the bar that fits a table saw and drilled a piece of connector extrusion to match it. I realized too late that I'd made a mistake, and had the long end sticking out just like Incra had it, but on the EZ-one I figured it would be better having it stick out the other way. After scratching my head figuring out how to salvage this most easily, I discovered that if I put 0.020 shim washers under the step screws used for the pivot and for the angle readout and lock (it locks at any 1 degree setting and at 22.5 degrees, or you can leave it unlocked and use the vernier readout to set it to any angle), it would slide nicely without binding in an SME, and the round handle would clamp position and angle at the same time. I adjusted the spacer washers on those step screws to get the latch into the same plane as the protractor.

I then cut off the connector extrusion so it is hidden under the miter head, and can't interfere with anything I might want to get close to.

So, a goof-up ended up being a really nice setup.

The Incra 1000HD allows loosening 4 screws to make tiny corrections to the angle scale, so it can be very accurate, and of course rigid.

The weakest part of this setup is that if it is used on the sliding SME, it depends on that being square.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3130.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	4127  
Old 12-28-2011, 07:37 PM

Great jig Dave!! I believe that WhiteJacket has a nearly identical setup.

I have the same Incra miter gauge (1000HD), but have mine set up so that it is perpendicular to the track, with 90 degrees of adjustment in either direction. I'm not 100% on this layout yet, but it seems to work well for my needs.

Do you have your miter gauge on the right or left side of the track? My thinking is to have mine on the left side of the track, with a thin extension underneath the track so I'm "supporting" the material all the way out to the edge of the rail. I think I like mine on the left because then I can use the anti-chip edge to line up my cuts.

Below are some pics I took of my prototype set up. I understand that Dino has a similar EZ set up coming in later February. I REALLY like the Incra though because it seems so heavy duty, accurate, and similar to a miter saw scale, which I hope to replace when Dino releases a saw or Moduni base that indexes bevel cuts to the edge of the guide rail.....

Anyways, thanks for sharing Dave, I'd love to see more pics of your set up if you have them!!

Best,
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05005R.JPG
Views:	537
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	4128   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05006R.JPG
Views:	497
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	4129   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05007R.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	4130  
Old 12-28-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegadgeteer View Post

The Incra 1000HD allows loosening 4 screws to make tiny corrections to the angle scale, so it can be very accurate, and of course rigid.

The weakest part of this setup is that if it is used on the sliding SME, it depends on that being square.
Dave, I agree that the ability to QUICKLY index the miter gauge to the track is VERY nice. This way, the SME doesn't really need to be square to the track, so long as you lock it down and adjust your miter gauge to account for it.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Dave,

Niice job. 'Hope it works as well as it looks.

I also have mine set up so the adjustment screws hold it in place. Like you I stumbled onto it. Initially, I used set screws.

Dave - next step: Put that in the back of any EZ rail and you have a very accurate miter cutting square or miter guide. A stop on your fence equals a cabinet maker.

I've also used a electronic miter gauge on the PBB Only. That was more like Tom's setup. When you "0" the miter to the rail using a square, that setting becomes 90 degrees and all other settings work off that. This means your setup doesn't have to be as perfect. Pushing the "0" button is easier than adjusting screws.

Burt
Old 12-29-2011, 02:17 AM

Default Some good ideas here!

I haven't decided how I'll want to use the Incra yet. I like Tom's setup. And Burt made a valuable suggestion too--good point, this thing will have more uses than I expected! And self-calibrating it to the track edge is a great idea.

I had been thinking of mounting it on the left, with a wide thin parallel piece that fits under the track with most workpieces. Anyway, it's easy to change everything about it, between the Incra extrusions and the EZ extrusions!

I hope to post more photos of my setup soon. I've been building an attachment that makes bevel cutting pretty simple--it tilts the bridge in just the right way to keep the saw blade in the same place on the table top, no matter what bevel you select. I've got the system installed and working, but there are still some details to finish before I can show it off properly, like a nice sliding finger or two to keep the saw from falling off the track. Actually, I had it working months ago but then realized I had to add another layer of adjustment to handle variations in blade-to-track differences from one saw to another, and what with some travel etc that delayed things a bunch.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:59 AM

I don't know if reviving an old thread is the best way to introduce an idea but it is related. If I don't get a response I'll start a new thread.

What if the miter gauge was attached to the track? Festool and Dewalt both have angle units that do this but perform very poorly. Surely, we can do better.

In thinking of removing the ACE from the off-cut side of the guide rail and attaching a high quality miter gauge to an insert that would slide into the channel normally used by the ACE.

I'm working with an INCRA gauge and have a Shinwa circular saw guide coming from Japan. I think the Shinwa will a better design for my purposes but the INCRA will offer faster repeatable accuracy. I'll guess I'll see.

Whichever one I end up using, I'll also make an extendable fence for it that lies flat with the guide rail but has a hinged flap that flips down to hold material, as well as a flip stop.

The goal is to have a miter gauge that allows fast accurate, and repeatable miters on a portable or stationary track saw system.

Your thoughts?
Old 10-08-2015, 10:21 AM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Several members here have taken the incra miter gauge and replaced the miter bar with a piece of connector. The miter gauge was then used in one of the clamping tracks on the guide rail. I believe we also attached a piece of bar stock to give the miter gauge a longer contact point with the wood being cut. It worked very well.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:25 AM

I think it may have been one of your posts , Burt, that got me thinking about this. I've considered bar stock and smart clamps. The bar stock would need to thinner than any material I might cut (I'm thinking .25"). Also, the advantage of using the ACE channel over smart clamps is the ability to place the gauge anywhere along the track for cuts (which may not be a big deal but sounds nice). Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:50 PM

For me the biggest hassle with a Square is getting it to be exactly 90D. I think the biggest advance would be having a square that you could remove and then refit and have confidence that it would still be 90D. You won't get that if you are relying on connectors in the bottom slots of the track to locate the square. They don't repeat that accurately. Like Tracedfar I'd wondered if you could make something that attached or at least indexed off the unused side of the track. I think you'd stand a much better chance of getting repeatability.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:57 PM

Exactly, Sean. My goal is to have something that indexes to the track itself but can quickly be attached, moved, and removed. This way all you need is your rail guide and the miter gauge eliminating any third reference point like the table or work surface.