The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Package design advice

Old 01-10-2016, 01:43 PM

Default 7 1/4" circ saws and 2 by X lumber

Let's assume kent's calculation's (from another thread) on the depth of cut lost from a circular saw's capabilities, when cutting at 90 degrees (i.e. perfectly perpendicular) to the wood, when mounted on the EZSMART saw base and track to be correct at .9"

...or please refute that....

as I look at the saws from Eurekazone I am finding that they list their EZ Smart 7 1/4" circular with nothing attached to it at http://www.eurekazone.com/product_p/ezcs0172515.htm
at 2 3/8" depth of cut (DOC)

...and the same saw to which they add the saw base, dust port, and dust shield http://www.eurekazone.com/product_p/ezrs0172515.htm at the same 2 3/8" DOC

I'm guessing, maybe incorrectly that this 2 3/8" DOC was measured BEFORE the base (and track it rides on) are factored in.

...or please refute that....

And if I've done my math right, that means that either of these saws whether I installed the 3 attachements myself, of have Eurekazone do it for me, won't cut completely through 2 by X board's actual 1.5" side. (2 3/8" DOC minus .9" )

Did I miss something? Is cutting 2 by X material using EZSmart products even something I should be doing or worried about doing on my EZSMART tools---rather saving the EZSmart tools solely for my plywood, small pieces, etc. and doing these 2 by X crosscuts on my old ratchety circular saw without any Eurekazone attachments on it?

Thanks.

Last edited by ribick; 01-10-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:53 PM

A lot depends on the actual diameter of the blade used. Not all 7 1/4" blades are 7 1/4", some larger, some smaller.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 01-14-2016, 09:56 AM

But realistically you are right; it is a common frustration that the system won't cut 2x4 lumber with a 7 1/4" saw. I've seen the advice about "larger 7 1/4 blades" a few times (even speculation about mounting a 7 1/2" blade, which exist but seems risky to me), but my assumption is that even the largest 7 1/4 won't work with all saws. It would be very helpful if someone could post the combo of 7 1/4 inch saw + blade that cuts 2x4.

The general advice has been to take the plastic strip out and use the track as a straight edge, or to flip the wood over. Flipping the wood over never worked for me (with the track+square); I always ended up with some offset, I guess flipping it would work if you were working with a system with stops, such as the EZ-One or a custom bench built with the B-300 bridge. Using the track as a straight-edge is vaguely ok, as long as you don't need repeatable cuts; but you might as well clamp a speed square on the wood!

More advanced solutions would be a larger saw on the track, especially the 8 1/4, although it's never been clear to me whether that would work on the 45 bevel as well. Of course a 10" saw would

If buying new saws is a possibility I think a great combo would be a larger saw for the track and a smaller saw for the UEG, since I believe that a 6 1/4" saw will cut a 2x4 at 90 (although again, not at 45 since you still lose the base depth of cut, just not the track height).

But I ended up buying a miter saw (Dewalt, $220 from Amazon) primarily for making cuts in 2x4 (and above) material (also my wife dislikes the weight of moving the track+saw around). I've just accepted that my EZ stuff is wonderful for 3/4 ply but just doesn't work for 2x4, without a $320 8 1/4" saw, or a B-300 and a bench/stops to accommodate it ($280? plus building a bench...). And those prices are after already buying the track + square + repeater ...

So, yes, if you already have a 7 1/4" saw you'll love the system if you think of it as working with anything short of a 2x. If you are buying a saw for use with the system go with the 8 1/4".
Old 01-14-2016, 11:36 AM

My Easy Ready Hitachi saw purchased years ago with the older style base just barely does NOT cut through a 2x4. It leaves a paper thin bit of uncut wood that I'd cut with a sharp pocket knife with no problem (so long as it was fully supported - if not the material could fall and splinter out a bit).

Last year I bought a used EZ-1 setup that included a Makita 5007MGA with the current base (not sure if there is double-sided tape in between the saw base and the EZ base). It WILL cut all the way through a 2x4 with maybe 1/16th of an inch more depth to spare.

Ken K.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:00 PM

Thanks Ken. What blade are you using in the Makita?

For FWIW, I didn't mention my setup! I have a Rigid 7 1/4 with Diablo blades and (I believe) the new style base. Mine bottoms out on 2x stock leaving a good 1/8 (maybe 3/16?); far too much for a knife
Old 01-14-2016, 01:22 PM

My Makita 5007MGA which has an advertised cut depth of 2-1/2" has, when using EZ base and track, reliably cut thru 2x stock with a variety of different blades. But just barely with Freud Diablo blades.
I'm guessing that this is a good indication that saws with an advertised cut depth of 2-3/8" will not reliably cut thru 2x stock.
The Makita 5008MGA with the 8-1/4" blade has an advertised cut depth at 45D of 2-1/4" so it won't cut thru 2x stock at 45D on an EZ track.
IMO cutting 2x stock is too common to not have a saw that would do it.
The fact that the EZ Saw on an EZ base won't cut thru 2x stock is a real puzzler.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeraeya View Post
What blade are you using in the Makita?
Its a Makita 7-1/4", 24T (tooth) with the label "Framing". I suspect the blade on my Makita 5007MGA is the one it shipped with - its shown on all the pictures of the saw I can read on-line.

From what I see online Makita's "Framing" blade has an "M" grind, but their "General Contractor" blade has an "ATB" grind. Not a clue what that means.

The web site says the General Contractor blade is for "Combination General Purpose", and the Framing blade is for "Pressure Treated / Wet Lumber"

Here is their list of circular saw blades:
http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Mod....aspx?ID=34201
Old 01-14-2016, 05:31 PM

You might want to take a look at this post by Phil to answer some saw blade questions.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 01-15-2016, 09:58 AM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
My Makita 5007MGA which has an advertised cut depth of 2-1/2" has, when using EZ base and track, reliably cut thru 2x stock with a variety of different blades. But just barely with Freud Diablo blades.
I'm guessing that this is a good indication that saws with an advertised cut depth of 2-3/8" will not reliably cut thru 2x stock.
The Makita 5008MGA with the 8-1/4" blade has an advertised cut depth at 45D of 2-1/4" so it won't cut thru 2x stock at 45D on an EZ track.
IMO cutting 2x stock is too common to not have a saw that would do it.
The fact that the EZ Saw on an EZ base won't cut thru 2x stock is a real puzzler.
Sean is correct. From my experience a saw advertised with a cutting depth of 2 3/8" will not cut all way thru a 2 x 4. A saw advertised with a cutting depth of 2 1/2" will cut the 2 x 4 with no problem.

Burt
Old 01-15-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeraeya View Post
But realistically you are right; it is a common frustration that the system won't cut 2x4 lumber with a 7 1/4" saw. I've seen the advice about "larger 7 1/4 blades" a few times (even speculation about mounting a 7 1/2" blade, which exist but seems risky to me), but my assumption is that even the largest 7 1/4 won't work with all saws. It would be very helpful if someone could post the combo of 7 1/4 inch saw + blade that cuts 2x4.
http://www.tracksawforum.com/showthr...?t=2970&page=4
Las few posts on the last page. I've been running that 7 1/2" saw blade in my hitachi since that post with no ill effects.