The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Package design advice

Old 08-14-2017, 03:51 PM

Default New Universal Edge Guide (UEG) - scale placed wrong

I just received a new Universal Edge Guide and I believe Eureka made a manufacturing error so any of the marks on the guide do not work. It is my theory that they intended to offset the marks about 1/2 inch but they moved them the wrong direction so now it is about an inch but not exactly an inch so they are unusable in that method.

To be fair while refusing to admit they have an error they agreed to send me a set of the old Guides which uses the small mark directly in front of the blade. I am okay with that but if I am correct I just wish they would admit to the issue, because of no paper instructions included I've wasted a few hours trying every method imaginable as well as playing telephone tag. The solution as I see it is to use the middle holes on the 2 rails but then one needs to drill 2 additional holes and I choose to let Eurekazone take the chance of that where they can set up with a jig.

I am hopefully attaching a picture which includes a tape measure comparison

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...09wOTJsZF9HQ2c

Eureka zone was unwilling to send me a photo with tape measure to prove the new ones actually are measuring correctly in case I just received a single misdrilled set in the 3000 new ones they say they've produced and also offered the old ones so this is just to let you know the issue and ask for ones with the correct ruling location.

Ken

Last edited by k_graham; 08-14-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:42 PM

Firstly, my UEG didn't come with any scales on the arms. But, looking at your photo, I'd have to ask why the 0" mark on the scales isn't lined up with the inside edge of the extrusion that runs on the edge of the material being cut? The way it's shown, you'd have to adjust the setting, regardless of which "arrow" is used, to account for the actual measurement to the edge of the extrusion.

Not having the scales, I set the cutting distance with the saw upside down, measuring from the tip of the tooth to the face of the extrusion - this gives very consistent (repeatable) results if the base is kept pushed up against the leading arm so that it can't misalign due to the (small) gap between the faces of the base and the two arms. I do follow a suggestion from one of Dino's videos (on the EZ1, but it still applies) and have a number of plywood "gauges/masters" made to common widths that I cut - these are set with one edge against the fence extrusion and the saw moved over until the blade touches the tips of the teeth. Same caveat about keeping the one end of the saw base tight to the extrusion so that the base isn't skewed.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:27 PM

What if you remove the saw base, turn it 180 degrees and re-install it?

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 08-14-2017, 07:38 PM

The scales on my UEG don't indicate cut width either, they're close but not close enough to be usable. I don't understand why they etched the measuring scales into the arms rather than designing it for the stick on tapes. There is no adjustability. The way it's designed now it requires you to be 100% accurate when attaching the saw to the EZ Base but there is no procedure where you get 100% mounting accuracy when attaching the saw to the Base. It makes no sense.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:05 PM

I've attached a pic of mine for comparison. Mine is not quite 1/32" off. Yours certainly looks like one that slipped past QC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0054.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	7181  
Old 08-15-2017, 04:26 AM

Then not able to get anywhere near 24", yep I checked.

Ken Graham
CommunityPrintersAndStationers.com
Old 08-15-2017, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracedfar View Post
I've attached a pic of mine for comparison. Mine is not quite 1/32" off. Yours certainly looks like one that slipped past QC.
They call that the old one, which they've said they will send me so we will see when it gets here.

Thanks,

Ken
CommunityPrintersandStationers.com
Old 08-15-2017, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
The scales on my UEG don't indicate cut width either, they're close but not close enough to be usable. I don't understand why they etched the measuring scales into the arms rather than designing it for the stick on tapes. There is no adjustability. The way it's designed now it requires you to be 100% accurate when attaching the saw to the EZ Base but there is no procedure where you get 100% mounting accuracy when attaching the saw to the Base. It makes no sense.
For a chance of a adhesive rule to work it should be Polyester not stretchable vinyl and clear laminated. My copiers only do this to 17" but I did a quick search and these appear to be right and left reading for just over 4.00 each for a 24" size. in as fine as 1/32" though probably 1/16" might be satisfactory as normally one is shooting for whole numbers like 8, 16, 24.

https://stop-painting.com/adhesive-b...fractional.asp

Ken Graham
President
Old 08-15-2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp913 View Post
Firstly, my UEG didn't come with any scales on the arms. But, looking at your photo, I'd have to ask why the 0" mark on the scales isn't lined up with the inside edge of the extrusion that runs on the edge of the material being cut? The way it's shown, you'd have to adjust the setting, regardless of which "arrow" is used, to account for the actual measurement to the edge of the extrusion.

Not having the scales, I set the cutting distance with the saw upside down, measuring from the tip of the tooth to the face of the extrusion - this gives very consistent (repeatable) results if the base is kept pushed up against the leading arm so that it can't misalign due to the (small) gap between the faces of the base and the two arms. I do follow a suggestion from one of Dino's videos (on the EZ1, but it still applies) and have a number of plywood "gauges/masters" made to common widths that I cut - these are set with one edge against the fence extrusion and the saw moved over until the blade touches the tips of the teeth. Same caveat about keeping the one end of the saw base tight to the extrusion so that the base isn't skewed.
As I mentioned in another message, and just in case you want to add scales to an older model with no scales. For a chance of a adhesive rule to work it should be Polyester not stretchable vinyl and clear laminated. My copiers only do this to 17" but I did a quick search and these appear to be right and left reading for just over 4.00 each for a 24" size. in as fine as 1/32" though probably 1/16" might be satisfactory as normally one is shooting for whole numbers like 8, 16, 24.

https://stop-painting.com/adhesive-b...fractional.asp

Ken Graham
President
Old 08-15-2017, 11:12 AM

Agree - need a movable scale. I have my 6-1/2" Makita cordless attached to my UEG and at times I need to reverse the direction of the saw - so a fixed scale would do me no good.

Mike