The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > EZ Forums Archive > Rant, Rate, Rave & Review

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 06:52 AM

Default Not another EZ vs... - Brian Kincaid

So, I have not yet invested in a real circular saw (my 18V Dewalt doesn't count). I am weighing options and it seems I am down to the age old EZ vs Festool. I have read up on the EZ system and I am familiar with most of the concepts. I would like some help building a comparison between the systems.

I know that some of you have been down this road, and I would like some help figuring out what the pros and cons of each system are:
| Item_______ | EZ___________________ | Festool_________________ |
| Rails_______ | Ridgid rail_____________ | Festool Less ridgid (sticky?) |
| Consumables | ?____________________ | ?______________________ |
| Configuration |Bridge and lots of support | MFT table_______________ |
| Clamps_____ |Good options___________ | Good but expensive______ |
| Saw_______ |Base on circular_________ | Purpose built rail saws____ |
| Resale_____ | ?_____________________ | Great__________________ |

If you have any items to dispute or add I'd really like to hear them.

I know this has been discussed countless places, but I am interested to see what you guys(& gals) think.

Brian
Old 08-22-2009, 06:53 AM

Default Dik Harrison

Saw:
EZ - You can use virtually any saw, and thus any blade.
F - My understanding is that if you use their saw you can only use their blades. Don't know if any other saw can be used with the F rail.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:54 AM

Default Sean M. Titmas

brian,
both systems offer unique features that their customers swear by.
you can find hundreds of words worth of banter about the two systems on the JLConline forums because it is a hotly debated topic over there. check there for lots of specific info about the features.

the basic difference is this

ez system can use any saw on their track however they are very limited with other tools and vacs

festool has a specific saw and blade and offers a full line of power tools that all use the vac.

note.

festool invented the tracksaw system over 25 years ago. simply put they are far superior to any saw that one man operation can put out.

dewalt, mafell and makita also have their versions of the track saw category so dont forget to check them out also.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:55 AM

Default Chris Padilla

How are non-Festool circular saws and the DeWalt on dust collection? All I can atest to is a MAJOR factor in going Festool was superior dust collection from all their tools and the circular saw is no exception. It was the major reason I went Festool 4-5 years ago.

I'm sure other manufactures may have caught up by now but check into it regardless.

Good luck...both are great systems and I don't think you could go wrong with either one.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:56 AM

Default Chris Padilla

Originally Posted by Dik Harrison
Saw:
EZ - You can use virtually any saw, and thus any blade.
F - My understanding is that if you use their saw you can only use their blades. Don't know if any other saw can be used with the F rail.

I think that is pretty much right on with Festool.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:58 AM

Default Burt Waddell

Brian,

Let me see if I can add a little info.

As you stated the EZ rail is much more rigid. Some will argue that is it best for the rail to flex to match the contours of the wood being cut. The sticky comes from the Festool design for the anti-splinter insert on the rail. It is sticky to hold the rail in place. This means the Festool needs to be more dropped into position where the EZ can be slid. Also EZ has a sticky strip that can be added on to the plastic inserts on the EZ rails. The Festool inserts stick on and the EZ inserts slide into the rail.

Consumables - My guess is they would be about the same.

Configuration: I consider the PBB to be superior to the MFT - Larger, more flexible, etc.

Clamps. I can't imagine how a clamp could be easier to use than the Smart clamp. Once it is properly adjusted, slide it on and off. No adjustments needed.

Almost any circular saw can be used on the EZ base (including the Festool). Only those with the same European design base will work on the Festool rail. The Festool saw could use a anti-kickback feature like the DeWalt.

Resale - I think both are good.

Someone mentioned that Festool had been around for 25 years. I believe that is actually more like 40 years.

Also someone mentioned JLC. JLC is more pro Festool than FOG. Also the information on EZ products on JLC in general is highly inaccurate.

I got started with EZ in 2004. Since then, it has totally replaced my table saws in the shop as well as on the job site. Also the SRK gets a work out.

Bottom line: I prefer the EZ. It has literally kept me working. The repeaters and square are great accessories. Festool borrowed the repeaters and calls them "Parallel guides". Most people consider the Festool square to be a problem child.

You have to have been around a few years to understand some of the conflicts between Festool and EZ. Either is superior to the table saw.

Burt
Closed Thread

Tags
comparison, dewalt, festool