The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Woodworking With A Disability

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-27-2010, 05:07 PM
bigjohn1 bigjohn1 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,365
Default lifting

Mel I'm in the same boat MDF ya right it can stay right where it is lol.
__________________
John....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Philphoto's Avatar
Philphoto Philphoto is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nehalem, Oregon
Posts: 627
Default Disabled and EZ woodworking

Well I just got my Rip Sizer and Smart Table and I have to say that both are very empowering. I put my smart table together on portable table I had made some time ago. Folding legs and all. What really was nice was having all my sheet goods loaded at the yard in the back of my Suburban and putting the smart table at the back for unloading. Straight shot slide to unload and rip. 4 sheets, and 3 segments 8' X 16" ripped (2 rip cuts from each sheet). By myself with set up, and take down working at a leisurely pace, I was finished and packed away in just under 1 and a half hours. I would not even begin to consider this part as I can not handle a 4 X 8 sheet of 3/4" ply doing a one hand, ripping on a table saw. The smart table is wheel chair accessible and suitable. I think of some of the EZ Smart procedures for disabled workers should be standard operations for all wood workers. If an old man, cancer patient, with very little use of one arm, and low function with the other arm, and under the influence of morphine, can safely, quickly, precisely perform some common woodworking operations, using the EZ Smart system by himself without assistance. You can well imagine why the rest of the woodworking world should pay attention and switch. Why is the government not looking our way?

If I had the money I would switch to a Power Bench. I will have to content myself with dreaming of owning a Power Bench.

How many things do we let stop us? EZ Smart is empowering!

If it is safe for me it has to be safe for others.
Phil
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-07-2011, 04:35 AM
Randal Stevenson Randal Stevenson is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Home of Harry Truman.
Posts: 1,224
Default

Phil

I am interested in how or what you use to unload the sheets?

As for the powerbench comment, search around here for idea's. Several have built their own, and while not all the extrusions and such, it can serve your needs and you may find the idea's you have, work better for you then some preassembled (not going to say built as idea's change) bench.
I am asleep on my feet (it is 2:35am) and can't remember the poster that built a wood bench and added SMEe's for the B300 mount. I will have to see if I can find it when I am more awake.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Philphoto's Avatar
Philphoto Philphoto is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nehalem, Oregon
Posts: 627
Default Not sure what you mean??

I am not sure that I understand your question.

I set up my EZ Smart table at the back-end of my GMC Suburban. The rear bed is at the same height as the smart table. So it was a straight pull from the stack inside the Suburban to the top of the smart table. When the cut was made I slid the material off the table and made a stack. I have the use of one arm like most people so it was easy enough to do, I just do not have the full use of both arms or enough strength to handle a full 4 X 8 sheet. Plus there are many folk that would rather move the saw and not the sheet. Weight, size, space available, comfort all make for a safe procedure. In my case I just flat out avoided projects the required ripping full sheets. That choice alone eliminated a majority of my projects.

Does that answer your question?
Phil
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Randal Stevenson Randal Stevenson is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Home of Harry Truman.
Posts: 1,224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philphoto View Post
I am not sure that I understand your question.

I set up my EZ Smart table at the back-end of my GMC Suburban. The rear bed is at the same height as the smart table. So it was a straight pull from the stack inside the Suburban to the top of the smart table. When the cut was made I slid the material off the table and made a stack. I have the use of one arm like most people so it was easy enough to do, I just do not have the full use of both arms or enough strength to handle a full 4 X 8 sheet. Plus there are many folk that would rather move the saw and not the sheet. Weight, size, space available, comfort all make for a safe procedure. In my case I just flat out avoided projects the required ripping full sheets. That choice alone eliminated a majority of my projects.

Does that answer your question?
Phil
Yes it does. I unload the same way (Ranger and a Sierra) but wondered if you used something to supplement the bad arm. I've played around with a few idea's, but recently refound something that was used 20 years ago, when I helped a friend move a commercial mixer (think 1500lbs).

Another reason I ask, was a few years ago, my father did something to his arm, and it was basically useless for a period of a couple of weeks (his biggest issue was starting the mower). I've grown up around "disabilities" and have learned to keep an open mind.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-08-2011, 03:04 AM
bigjohn1 bigjohn1 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
Yes it does. I unload the same way (Ranger and a Sierra) but wondered if you used something to supplement the bad arm. I've played around with a few idea's, but recently refound something that was used 20 years ago, when I helped a friend move a commercial mixer (think 1500lbs).

Another reason I ask, was a few years ago, my father did something to his arm, and it was basically useless for a period of a couple of weeks (his biggest issue was starting the mower). I've grown up around "disabilities" and have learned to keep an open mind.
All the folks out there that have all there parts you have know Idea what you have please enjoy them as long and hard as you can you never know when you may loose one.
I was born with only one eye and can tell you it don't make thigs easy lol
Then Cancer hit me and a lot of things don't work the same after that also. To make things worse now I need cataract surgery on the only eye I have now that scares me more then the cancer did but its do it or don't drive again. So many things we take for granted so enjoy your EZ tools there one of the good things in like.
PS I know there is always others in worse shape just saying whats up at my end.
__________________
John....

Last edited by bigjohn1; 07-08-2011 at 03:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-08-2011, 04:13 AM
Randal Stevenson Randal Stevenson is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Home of Harry Truman.
Posts: 1,224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn1 View Post
All the folks out there that have all there parts you have know Idea what you have please enjoy them as long and hard as you can you never know when you may loose one.

QFT +1

Grew up with a great aunt that had polio. Dad was blind for several weeks as a kid when he was hit on his bicycle by a moving car (they didn't think he would regain his site). His electronics repair person was totally blind. I grew up with asthma bad enough that it kept me out of the military and that hurt my ability to go and pay for college. Have had several friends become paralyzed over the years from different things from car accidents, to the Hyatt skywalk collapse.
People should read that often, and design their houses for easy modification.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-09-2011, 12:36 AM
Mel Beck Mel Beck is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
QFT +1

People should read that often, and design their houses for easy modification.
You said it Randal, and on top of the things you deal with as a kid, you never know if things that you do in your 20s that don't hurt at the time you do it, just might catch up with you in your 50s. Mine did, they really did.
__________________
Mel B.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-09-2011, 02:28 AM
Philphoto's Avatar
Philphoto Philphoto is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nehalem, Oregon
Posts: 627
Default On my end

My adopted daughter is deaf with Cerebral Palsy, my wife has multiple disabilities from a botched surgery to a bad fall. Now my wife who never smoked a single cigarette has COPD and Congestive Heart Failure. Then on June 10th 2004 at 1:35 in the afternoon the doctors told me the swelling in my neck (looked like mumps) was stage 4 cancer and my chances of living 5 years was less than 20%. I sat there and cried. Not for me but for my wife who was being left with a mess. Well I suppose I had much to fight for and that has forced me to always look forward. Study, learn, think forward. Plan new things to do, treasure each moment that God has given and make sure that your life matters for something. I also stopped worrying about what anyone thought of me, and live life.

Phil
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-09-2011, 03:47 AM
bigjohn1 bigjohn1 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philphoto View Post
My adopted daughter is deaf with Cerebral Palsy, my wife has multiple disabilities from a botched surgery to a bad fall. Now my wife who never smoked a single cigarette has COPD and Congestive Heart Failure. Then on June 10th 2004 at 1:35 in the afternoon the doctors told me the swelling in my neck (looked like mumps) was stage 4 cancer and my chances of living 5 years was less than 20%. I sat there and cried. Not for me but for my wife who was being left with a mess. Well I suppose I had much to fight for and that has forced me to always look forward. Study, learn, think forward. Plan new things to do, treasure each moment that God has given and make sure that your life matters for something. I also stopped worrying about what anyone thought of me, and live life.

Phil
I agree Phil I'm here for me and my wife and who ever can put up with me along the way lol. Take care its a short and rough ride we have to get through who knows whats next till we get there. Hell could be on earth.
__________________
John....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.