The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Positioning and Measuring Systems

Old 12-25-2010, 11:48 PM

Default RipSizer Assembly

For those who have received their RipSizer and have yet to put it together or for those who have tried and aren't quite sure how it all fits together....here are the assembly instructions. The instructions are labeled for the EZ RipSizer 25 but the assembly is the same for the EZ RipSizer 36. Due to limitations in file upload size the quality of images are reduced but they still work for instruction purposes . Enjoy!

Joe
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EZ RipSizer Assembly.pdf (143.7 KB, 562 views)
Old 12-26-2010, 12:21 AM

Do you show a right and left "sliding edge bracket" or are they identical. Thanks.
Also thanks for the assembly guide.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:27 AM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Joe,

You did a great job on that.

Thanks

Burt
Old 12-26-2010, 12:47 AM

Glenn,
The two Sliding Edge Guide Brackets are not identical. The one pictured (Pic #1 in this post) on the right is for the near end and the one of the left is for the far end. The second picture shows the insertion of the far end bracket. Basically, the way I figured it out is the connector (therefore the Edge Guide B2B) needs to be toward the Guide Rail. I found out that interchanging the two does not allow the RipSizer to function because the lower portion of the block next to the connector hits the material to be cut and the RipSizer will not sit flat/level. Does that make sense? (I know what I want to say but not sure I said it right).

Burt,
Thanks. It was fun to do. I will have to see what other ones I can do.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0200.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	2678   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0225.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	2679  
Old 12-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
I found out that interchanging the two does not allow the RipSizer to function because the lower portion of the block next to the connector hits the material to be cut and the RipSizer will not sit flat/level

Joe, Nice work. Thanks and we will try to use the format for more.

About the bracket. After many designs the the final bracket offers some very unique benefits.

If you remove the edge fence (b2b) you havee a repeater set.
Quote:
the lower portion of the block next to the connector hits the material to be cut and the RipSizer will not sit flat/level
that was by design to work as a simple stop and now we have the benefits of the repeaters without buying the repeaters.

Next huge benefit is the way the entire ripsizer functions in a total open design that was a nice surprice to achive without complicated parts.

The guide rail ( track) is now free to travel on the entire length of the arms
and the edge guide is free to slide under the saw without any stopping.

Think of many tools now.

A vertical panel saw where the beam of the saw ( ez track) slides left and right. A tablesaw with a shifting saw and a sliding fence...

Ant, bring on the rest.
I like to share the fun of this design with the forum and not discover all the ez surprices.

Burt said something about a powerbench in your hands and Ant mention something about a mini bridge.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Banned

Burt, you have said that you have used (if I remember correctly) a left blade saw on the Ripsizer? What I am wondering is should one have the fence (for the most part, there are times otherwise) on the same side as the saw blade?

I am wondering mainly due to the zeroing.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:56 AM

with the edge-guide free to slide under the rail/track I can alway have my keeper piece under the rail/track. This I like as I need no offset for the blade and I can set to marks if I choose
Old 12-27-2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
Burt, you have said that you have used (if I remember correctly) a left blade saw on the Ripsizer? What I am wondering is should one have the fence (for the most part, there are times otherwise) on the same side as the saw blade?

I am wondering mainly due to the zeroing.
Randal,

How about an indirect answer: Keep the fence on the same side of the board that you are on. For narrow cuts you will end up with the saw blade next to the fence - I think.

At the last minute Dino changed the fence so that it can slide completely under the guide rail.

I just looked at some photos from Joe and let me see if I can explain this.

The distance from the fence to the rail insert closest to it appears to be 19"+.
In other words the range for that side will be "0" to "19"+.

You can switch to the other side of the cutting rail for the distances from about 6" to 26".

Also depending on the balance of the rip sizer, you may be able to do all your cutting on the outside of the rail.

With the rip sizer, a left hander and a right hander can work on the same side of the rail. You just start at different ends.

Burt
Old 12-27-2010, 02:22 AM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
Randal,

How about an indirect answer: Keep the fence on the same side of the board that you are on. For narrow cuts you will end up with the saw blade next to the fence - I think.

At the last minute Dino changed the fence so that it can slide completely under the guide rail.
I just looked at some photos from Joe and let me see if I can explain this.

The distance from the fence to the rail insert closest to it appears to be 19"+.
In other words the range for that side will be "0" to "19"+.

You can switch to the other side of the cutting rail for the distances from about 6" to 26".

Also depending on the balance of the rip sizer, you may be able to do all your cutting on the outside of the rail.

With the rip sizer, a left hander and a right hander can work on the same side of the rail. You just start at different ends.

Burt
Burt. That was the results of your work and Dik's easy to make bracket.
At the end luck was in our side and dino discovered the benefit by mistake.

I was holding the ripsizer and the entire track slided all the way to the other side. WTH happen here?
A minute later I was so...smart explaining my guys my new invention. 5 more minutes and bracket # 19? was made to use the ripsizer as repeaters.

Reminds me of the teflon invention.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:10 AM

Dino,

However it happened, it made a nice improvement to the tool. I should have thought to say that in the post to Randal.

Burt