The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Display Case

Old 02-19-2012, 01:08 PM

Default Spice Rack Pullout

I built and designed the cabinets for our kitchen (see the Cabinet Making section). I designed in a 4" wide hole for a spice pullout. I actually purchased one but on inspection found it would not fit so had to go with plan B and build my own. Since I was making it myself I decided to design it so the slides were hidden (like the rest of the kitchen). The wife loves it!

I used my EZ-One for all the cuts:

Slide application:

Finished product:

(down to crown & toe and then I can install flooring)

Mike
Old 02-19-2012, 01:44 PM

Mike,

Very nice cabinet. I'll have to put that in my bag-o-ideas.

Roy
Old 02-19-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
I built and designed the cabinets for our kitchen (see the Cabinet Making section). I designed in a 4" wide hole for a spice pullout. I actually purchased one but on inspection found it would not fit so had to go with plan B and build my own. Since I was making it myself I decided to design it so the slides were hidden (like the rest of the kitchen). The wife loves it!

I used my EZ-One for all the cuts:

(down to crown & toe and then I can install flooring)

Mike
Mike, totally nice work!! Smart thinking to use the drawer guides 'backward' from how they are normally used. Great design; superb execution.
If that kitchen doesn't buy you a few good points with mama, not sure anything will.
Rick
Old 03-11-2012, 06:41 PM

Default Really Nice Work!

I am working on two very similar drawers. The difference is that mine will hold embroidery hoops for the wife's commercial embroidery machines. Two dozen hoops scattered is not pretty, they look more like spools of tangle foot wire. I am going to make the drawers similar to yours and hang the hoops for easy sorting. I was trying to find good ways to hold up to the repeated use of in and out. Looks like your solution on the slides is the best. That arrangement looks like it would hold up to teenage boys that have to hang on every shelf, door, drawer and knob like Tarzan swinging from the vines.

I might even try making a computer tower drawer, using the same slide arrangement.
Thanks for sharing,
Phil
Old 03-12-2012, 12:27 AM

I'd like to see what you end up with Phil - I am 75% done with a cabinet for my wife to support her commercial embroidery machine. I only need to finish the drawer fronts and the doors.

Rod

Last edited by Ivanhoe; 03-12-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:52 AM

Default Not built yet, but working on it.

Not sure what you have for a machine, but discussion can be good. I have 3 drawers like the spice drawer, and 3 horizontal drawers for the thread spools. The top will have a grid layout for thread and needle sequence, and there will be shelves above for notebooks. The flat screen will be on swing bracket for positioning and thread image reference. Our commercial (SWF) machine is older and only a 9 thread. However many of the ideas are from working with these frustration issues and trying to keep everything together.

My plan is to finish building and record photos and video of everything plus plans and cutlists, in SketchList and make the digital plans available. Maybe for $$? Not sure. Sewing furniture is a growing class, just like computer furniture was for a while.

Phil
Old 03-12-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philphoto View Post
Not sure what you have for a machine, but discussion can be good. I have 3 drawers like the spice drawer, and 3 horizontal drawers for the thread spools. The top will have a grid layout for thread and needle sequence, and there will be shelves above for notebooks. The flat screen will be on swing bracket for positioning and thread image reference. Our commercial (SWF) machine is older and only a 9 thread. However many of the ideas are from working with these frustration issues and trying to keep everything together.

My plan is to finish building and record photos and video of everything plus plans and cutlists, in SketchList and make the digital plans available. Maybe for $$? Not sure. Sewing furniture is a growing class, just like computer furniture was for a while.

Phil
Phil - I did this to completely hide the slides and the loading is light. If your drawer is havy I have seen many put an additional slide on the top.

Mike
Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philphoto View Post

Phil
Don't mean to deviate from Mike's thread - we can start a new one if need. Her machine is a Toyota esp9100. My cabinet is very basic. Laminate top with 2 drawers side by side and 2 separate compartments below with adjustable shelving.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:17 AM

I am building one like this, what slide did you use? Thanks, Roboy
Old 03-25-2013, 11:22 AM

I am building one like this, what slide did you use? Thanks, Roboy