The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Power Benches

Old 01-30-2010, 10:10 AM

I still don't get the sliding or smart square. It looks like it just attaches at a right angle to the guide rail. That's useful, but are there different alternatives for squares? Nothing like a miter guide that can be set to different angles? Or is that kind of function picked up with the power bench?
Old 01-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suobs View Post
I still don't get the sliding or smart square. It looks like it just attaches at a right angle to the guide rail. That's useful, but are there different alternatives for squares? Nothing like a miter guide that can be set to different angles? Or is that kind of function picked up with the power bench?
hi suobs? what is suobs?

The sliding square is out of production and the new mitering square
is going to be a complete system.
We're waiting for the production of one part to make it self aligning and mitering with extreme easy and accuracy.
the other benefit is that the "sliding story stick/ repeater" on the square offers 3 way extendability with 60" capacity on the left and 40" on the right.
But, for many applications, you don't even need the repeater on the square.
With a simple sliding stop we can eliminate the repeater ( not tottaly)

Wait for pictures as soon as we can be up to date with our shipping.
I'm bringing new people into the company to help with better documantation, videos and the rest.

I will post pictures of thr new square Monday.
Look at the thread "simplicity wins again" to get an idea.
thanks
Old 01-30-2010, 12:20 PM

Thanks, suobs is just a login I've been using for years for newsgroups. Easier than remembering a half-dozen. Real name is Steve.

Really hard questions coming . . .
Old 01-30-2010, 12:36 PM

I can see I'm in a room full of creative wildmen engaged in an endless pursuit of pefection! That's a good thing . . .

If it's out of production, why is sold in the packages? BTW, there's no actual description of the system square (or squares - still not clear if there's more than one model) or how they integrate with the other components that I can find. Just some pictures. Similar with other components.

I'm just a (complusive) hobbyist, and I'm trying here to replace my table saw for most work, the TS never made sense to me anyway for panels and even a lot of finer work. The only thing it really seems to do well is ripping long boards and dimensional lumber. Anyway, I started using guides with circular saw years ago for panels. I mean the kind that flex in the middle unless you screw them down! I've always wanted something like a track system, then plunge saws were invented and I started to look at Festool, then I hit on your webpage. I think it was through a link in a review of plunge saws.

Anyway if I'm getting this right, a lot of what the EZ stuff does is done by the power bench more conveniently but less portably, so there's some overlap, right? For example, one wouldn't need the cabinet maker deal or the square or repeaters with the power bench unless you wanted to work offsite. For a shop setup that covers the bases from cutting down full panels all the way to fine woodworking (cutting, making joints, and routing), you would want just a power bench and for the long stuff a sacrificial table and a long rail and square, right? I'm not clear tho if a router can attach to the PBB or if you need additional system router accessories other than a base.

The PBB looks like a very sweet tool, but given that I have never actually seen one, have no instructions, and can't justify $1500 for a unit to use as a model, I seem to have reached a dead end! I can build a really huge (~80") MFT I think for around $500. Even less if I leave out the perforated top. I'm wondering if someone could lay out the basics of putting a PBB together that functions properly? Especially - how support works for the side and end tracks and how the legs are attached to the tracks. Also since you don't offer a "kit" per se, whether buying the parts you sell assures me that I have all the necessary bits & pieces.

I have to admit that I've still been looking at the MFT because (a) I haven't quite figured out your system and (b) the PBB is really expensive. I'm sure the price is in line with your costs but what's needed is a kit for building one with directions, also maybe offering a range of (non-DIY) PBB options like one that doesn't tilt and costs less. The MFT is obviously not nearly as cool as your tool and doesn't tilt but it's about half the price with similar functionality + miter gauge, and it costs even less if you make it yourself, and there's third party support for making one from parts . . .

Of course in your favor is the realtime room full of inventors!

Not to put you on the spot, but right now I'm trying to make a decision, although I also look forward to perpetually tweaking whatever I end up with.

Steve

Last edited by suobs; 01-30-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Not to put you on the spot, but right now I'm trying to make a decision, although I also look forward to perpetually tweaking whatever I end up with.

Steve
Steve,
We make PBB's and SBB's for any need.
Even one of a kind.
My advice is to start with a basic DIY system and make it to work for you.
Microsoft just bought 2 Tilt-top SPB's with all the goodies.
Starrett just ordered a full blown ez tilt top SPB,
I just receive an order for a 16"x18" mini PBB ( cross cutter for a flooring guy)
Pictures soon.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:43 AM

Steve
The best fill in the blank I can think of (at least it was for me) is check out the Videos any where you can find one, there are lots out there. Start with YouTube or Eureka Zone. Video tells some of us more than a Library could.

Great Luck
Mel Beck
Old 01-31-2010, 10:42 AM

Thanks Mel. I did look at the DIY photos Dino posted on his DIY bench, and a lot of the videos. Some are pretty helpful.

Steve
Old 01-31-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Steve,
We make PBB's and SBB's for any need.
Even one of a kind.
OK, I'll bite.
  • How much for a complete bench without tilt?
  • How much for your recommendation on a stripped down bench with just the basic accessories needed say for cabinets.
  • How much for a large bench like the cabinetmaker's shown in one of the videos? How much to add a sliding extension?
  • Without tilt or folding legs?
  • Etc.
  • How much for a complete parts kit, set of specs, and parts lists needed to build a complete basic bench that could be enhanced later with tilt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
My advice is to start with a basic DIY system and make it to work for you.
I can see that working for breaking down big panels, but it seems like moving the track/saw/hose etc. would be a drag for anything more complex or repetitive. Presumably that's why you invented the bridge and the bridge needs tracks on a table if I understand it right.

BTW, should we be looking forward to exotic wood laptops from Microsoft?

Steve

Last edited by suobs; 01-31-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:38 PM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
OK, I'll bite.
  • How much for a complete bench without tilt?

Remove the tilt package.
  • How much for your recommendation on a stripped down bench with just the basic accessories needed say for cabinets.

Remove the legs. make your own.
  • How much for a large bench like the cabinetmaker's shown in one of the videos? How much to add a sliding extension?

Make a design ( list) with your needs and call us to get a nice discount.
  • Without tilt or folding legs?
  • Etc.
  • How much for a complete parts kit, set of specs, and parts lists needed to build a complete basic bench that could be enhanced later with tilt?
[Look at the big Ez PBB sale and take it from there.

I can see that working for breaking down big panels, but it seems like moving the track/saw/hose etc. would be a drag for anything more complex or repetitive. Presumably that's why you invented the bridge and the bridge needs tracks on a table if I understand it right.

You can use both ways but for speed and production work the big factories use beam saws. The Bridge is a beam saw upside down.

BTW, should we be looking forward to exotic wood laptops from Microsoft?

Steve
I don't think so. This is for display shop.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:12 PM

What's the big Ez PBB sale? I see the bridge is on sale but am not finding an Ez PBB on your web page. Is the PBB a previous version of the SPB?

Were you saying to subtract the price of the tilt top from the SPB cost to get a price without it? Same with the legs?