The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Woodworking With A Disability

Old 03-14-2014, 03:21 PM

Default Looking for a good vertical saw guide system.

Im looking for a way to do light, small hobbyist work. The largest panel-type material Id need to handle wont exceed 24 x 36 x 1/4".

Being wheelchair-bound I need a guide/frame system that I can operate vertically.

Id like to be able to use my Dremel Model SM20 Saw Max (footplate width 2-3/4 to 3-3/16 depending on the blade used).

Any suggestions?
Old 03-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by furst5 View Post
Im looking for a way to do light, small hobbyist work. The largest panel-type material Id need to handle wont exceed 24 x 36 x 1/4".

Being wheelchair-bound I need a guide/frame system that I can operate vertically.

Id like to be able to use my Dremel Model SM20 Saw Max (footplate width 2-3/4 to 3-3/16 depending on the blade used).

Any suggestions?
I suggest that you contact Eurekazone directly. There are some wheel chair bound people that use the EZ System. The saw you mentioned is smaller than saws normally used with the EZ System. It would require a custom mount for the saw. Also I'm not sure the depth of cut on the Dremel will be enough to work on the EZ rail. The UEG Might be a workable option. The people at Eurekazone will be able to point you in the right direction.

Burt
Old 03-14-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furst5 View Post
I’m looking for a way to do light, small hobbyist work. The largest panel-type material I’d need to handle won’t exceed 24” x 36” x 1/4".

I’d like to be able to use my Dremel Model SM20 Saw Max (footplate width 2-3/4” to 3-3/16” depending on the blade used).

Any suggestions?
furst5,
welcome to the forum!

here's a couple of pics of an idea that sprang to mind after reading your posting.
Pic one shows the components of a simple work/cutting platform that could accommodate a near vertical work situation.

In the pic, is a piece of track, laid onto a piece of wood sheathing, which is fastened to a piece of EZ B2B extrusion, which is slanted back at the top (ie. not perfectly vertical. Fasteners not shown in the pic, but are very easy to do).
Also, seen resting below the track, w/the black knob, is an adjustable depth setter that can be adjusted up or down. In theory, the material to be cut would be placed under the track and the depth setters would be slid to the bottom of the material, holding it at the correct height. (In the pic, the depth setters are 1/2", but they can be any thickness you'd want.)
Notice that the track is held in place by a 5/16" threaded dowel in the edge slot of the track, joined to the B2B by a short 'arm'. In actuality, in making this, to eliminate slop, the dowel would be firmly fastened in the edge slot of the EZ track and pass thru a 5/16" bushing in the 'arm'. Judicious use of nylon washers in the assembly would allow the track to pivot/move easily.
The simple design allows for cutting of different depth material; by slanting the work platform back a bit, gravity helps keep the saw stable on the track.

Pic two shows the same set-up, ready to cut a 3/4" board.

For a saw holder, as Burt mentioned, the EZ office can help you out, but it shouldn't be too difficult to do a variation of the EZ SSRK (router system) which is basically a 'saddle' that rides the EZ track ridge, attached to a tool-mountable-platform that places the tool away from the edge of the track.

If any of this isn't clear, I apologize- after reading your post, I ran out to the shop to quickly cobble this together. Obviously, it's not a finished product, it is only meant as a visual idea to see if we're on the right track.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vertical cutting-1.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	6086   Click image for larger version

Name:	vertical cutting-2.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	6087  

Tags