The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Positioning and Measuring Systems

Old 05-26-2014, 04:08 PM

Default Repetative cuts

Often, when I'm doing a cutting task on my PBB (custom, shop-built work table utilizing an EZ bridge system) or EZ-1 (EZ-built work table utilizing an EZ bridge system), I need a quick/simple indexing guide for repetitive cuts.
Sometimes the workflow is such that I need to remove the indexing guide to perform a task, and then re-install the indexing guide in same place. Problem is, when I do the re-install, I usually can't re-install to the exact measurement I originally started with.

So, to solve the problem, I did a slight mod to my 'mini-repeaters' that fasten to the side of the EZ track. (see the pic) Usually, the slotted piece of ply goes on the bottom of the black holders located in the side of the EZ track, and slides under the track to act as a 'backstop' for the piece being cut to butt against. This works great if the cut piece is only 6" or less, seeing as that's only as far as the slotted ply. pieces can adjust away from the cut line. So, if I need to do wider cuts (like today's 11" cuts) I need a different solution.
By relocating the slotted ply to the top side of the black holder and using a moveable stop-block in the slot, I can now set up for the wider cuts. Then, when I need to remove the indexing guides, knowing I'll need to re-install them w/the same, initial set-up, I just loosen the hex nut holding the guide to the track; slide it out the end of the track; perform the function; re-install the guide; I'm good to go.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mini repeaters-  modification.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	6251  
Old 05-26-2014, 05:44 PM

Yet another great idea Rick, thanks for sharing...

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 05-27-2014, 01:56 PM

Thank you, Rick!!! I love this idea. I'm going to make them very soon.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:13 AM

Just wondering if Rick or anyone has advanced this parallel guide concept.

I think the off-cut ACE channel is a great place for attaching a miter gauge, parallel guide and similar accessories. I hope EZSmart is planning to take advantage of this or at least offer t-nuts, brackets, or kits for creating your own.

Anyway, I think I may try to make a couple of guides similar to Rick's "mini repeaters" but a little longer and of aluminum to do a couple of large built-in bookshelves (8'x8' and 8' X 12') I have coming up.

I would normally use the UEG to rip my cabinet and shelf depth from a full sheet and a SCMS to cut to width. This still may be the best way to go. It just that I think I get a little better cut with the track than with the UEG.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Last edited by Tracedfar; 01-18-2016 at 01:24 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracedfar View Post
Just wondering if Rick or anyone has advanced this parallel guide concept.

I think the off-cut ACE channel is a great place for attaching a miter gauge, parallel guide and similar accessories. I hope EZSmart is planning to take advantage of this or at least offer t-nuts, brackets, or kits for creating your own.

Anyway, I think I may try to make a couple of guides similar to Rick's "mini repeaters" but a little longer and of aluminum to do a couple of large built-in bookshelves (8'x8' and 8' X 12') I have coming up.

I would normally use the UEG to rip my cabinet and shelf depth from a full sheet and a SCMS to cut to width. This still may be the best way to go. It just that I think I get a little better cut with the track than with the UEG.

Any insights would be appreciated.
Not really any 'advancing' on my end, other than to make a pair out of baltic birch ply that let me do a couple of varied options. (see pics) The wooden ones are better at allowing deeper set-ups for wider cuts. Also (pic 2), they do tapers really well. My main reason for the wooden ones, tho, had to do with the need to 'hang' the EZ track either vertically or horizontally on a wall; works well.

Re. fasteners: if you don't want to modify bolt/screw heads/nuts to fit the side slot of the EZ track, these guys should have something that could work: http://www.jwwinco.com/index.html (These slide into the track edge slots perfectly: http://www.jwwinco.com/products/sect...506/index.html They don't 'roll' in, but slide in from the end of the track.)

hth
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2888.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	6780   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2889.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	6781  
Old 01-18-2016, 11:04 AM

Yes, exactly what I was hoping to see. Thanks, Rick!
Old 01-18-2016, 12:35 PM

On the EZ-1 remembering where the stops were before they were moved or removed could be as easy as using a VERY sharp pencil to mark the location of the stops (so long as the sliding rails haven't ... well ... slid).
Old 01-31-2016, 11:12 AM

Thanks for continuing to innovate! Accurate and repetitive positioning a measuring has been an area I have always struggled with on the EZ system.