The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Positioning and Measuring Systems

Old 05-05-2015, 01:46 PM

Default Does this give anyone any ideas?

Just saw this and wondered if they would do the same for the EZ track, but probably not enough interest to warrant designing another attachment point.

http://www.woodpeck.com/pgs.html

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 05-05-2015, 05:02 PM

Dik,

I saw that this morning and thought that there could be some possibilities. I'm looking at the concept of a "Mafell-style" miter stop system and came up with the idea for a moveable handle to attach to the track edge, and it occurs to me that the idea could be expanded to this. I'll keep it in mind in case I have some free time to work on it.

Tom
Old 05-05-2015, 09:12 PM

Dik,

I also saw this today and was thinking the same thing. My concern is the way that it is attached to the edge would make it prone to bending the track if you lifted the track without also supporting the positioners. I noticed the video did not show moving the track & positioners. I even wonder if the much stronger EZ track could support that much leverage on its edge without permanently deforming it.

It would be awesome if the zero-able and measurable positioning could be done on the EZ repeaters, DIY PBBs, EZ-1, etc., where the weight is either on the support system or mounted in a much stronger location (underneath the track).

Roy
Old 05-06-2015, 12:29 PM

I used to be able to afford a few things from Woodpecker's a few years back but now that they started making accessories for green stuff their prices have gone from high to ridiculously high.

I have about every tool EZ has to offer but now find myself only needing my UEG, square, and occasionally long rail (to straighten an edge). I can't think of the last time I needed repeaters.

Mike
Old 05-06-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_okc View Post
Dik,

deforming it.

It would be awesome if the zero-able and measurable positioning could be done on the EZ repeaters, DIY PBBs, EZ-1, etc., where the weight is either on the support system or mounted in a much stronger location (underneath the track).

Roy
Mounting something similar under the track would be relatively easy(Doesn't Rick already have a set that he uses?). Using a piece of connector and an offset mount, this would be pretty simple, particularly since the track has to be longer than the part being cut to allow for starting and stopping the saw. With a little thought, it could even have (adjustable) scales on the arms similar to those shown to allow for adjusting from the top, setting the zero to the cut line of the ACE. With some thought, you could probably even use the pretty red tracks

Tom
Old 05-06-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
I used to be able to afford a few things from Woodpecker's a few years back but now that they started making accessories for green stuff their prices have gone from high to ridiculously high.

I have about every tool EZ has to offer but now find myself only needing my UEG, square, and occasionally long rail (to straighten an edge). I can't think of the last time I needed repeaters.

Mike
I find the same thing - rip the 4 x 8 sheet down to strips of the required width with the UEG and then cross-cut to length with the Cabinet Square. I don't use a repeater as I found it a little cumbersome and fussy to deal with, and instead use the adjustable stop that I made that slides in the groove of the square.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3036.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	6650  

Last edited by tomp913; 05-06-2015 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 05-06-2015, 04:03 PM

Dik, Here's another version, using Incra track with the rulers. Maybe this guy would make them for EZ track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f6kbeK1zZQ#t=50

His complete set is $140, not as fancy as Woodpeckers version, but cost effective. You supply the Incra track. http://www.ripdogs.com/rip-guides/

I have to admit, I am partial to the flip stops made by Woodpeckers. Also, their knobs are very cost effective and adaptable. I always keep some of them around. The U.S. Tool and Fastener site carries them and has free shipping http://www.ustoolandfastener.com/ But most of their stuff, especially one-time tools are just too pricey.

Last edited by Goblu; 05-06-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp913 View Post
I don't use a repeater as I found it a little cumbersome and fussy to deal with, and instead use the adjustable stop that I made that slides in the groove of the square.

Tom
Nice job, Tom!
Old 05-06-2015, 07:41 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post

Mike
I'm with Mike on this one. I haven't used my repeaters since I got the UEG. In fact I believe that my repeaters were made into something else.

Burt