The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Power Benches

Old 12-03-2016, 08:20 PM

Default Angled Cuts

I'm just curious ... when using a Power Bench or EZ-One how do you determine angles? I'm especially wondering about setting up for angled cuts other than 90 or 45 degrees.

Ken
Old 12-03-2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk View Post
I'm just curious ... when using a Power Bench or EZ-One how do you determine angles? I'm especially wondering about setting up for angled cuts other than 90 or 45 degrees.

Ken
One simple way is shown in the pic: insert a slotted board on the off-cut side of the EZ-1 track, w/slot parallel to the track; install framing square as shown. In the pic, the cut is set for 25˚.

Sometimes, I'll clamp down a fence to the top of the EZ-1, using the framing square against the edge of the track to set the angle before clamping.

HTH,
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3250.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	6942  
Old 12-04-2016, 09:24 AM

That is so slick!

My wife is smiling at me because I've spent the last half hour messing around with my Swanson speed square and peices of cardboard to help me picture how your setup works.

Ken K.

Last edited by kenk; 12-04-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk View Post
That is so slick!

My wife is smiling at me because I've spent the last half hour messing around with my Swanson speed square and peices of cardboard to help me picture how your setup works.

Ken K.
lol.... yep, I drive my wife nuts w/my mechanical machinations re. EZ...... I'll do a bit of 'chicken-scratching' on a grimy, pre-used notepad; then commandeer her attention as I seek to explain to her what I've 'sketched'.... all to no avail, of course, but she humors me regardless... what an amazing woman....

Re. angles on the EZ-1: there are many variations on the theme. Pic shows two versions of the same thing: lower slotted 'fence' is held in place by a piece of EZ connector w/a knob; also anchored w/a smart clamp; angle is set to 10˚. Upper 'fence' is a piece of ply w/a hole drilled thru it to allow the EZ connector-stud to pass thru it; angle is set to 30˚. Speed squares are only in the pic to show the setting of the fences- obviously, remove them once the angles are set.

Using this kind of set-up for angle cutting is, for me, fast, precise, and repeatable. I'm sure others have set up their own options; I'm hopeful we'll get a bit more input to your question.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3251.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	6943  
Old 12-04-2016, 11:36 PM

I use an Incra miter gauge for the few angled cuts I make with my setup. I used M5 nuts and machine screws and washers to attach the fence of the gauge to the off-cut side ACE channel. Then I use the miter bar as a fence.

I can only cut from one side of the guide rail. I also had to shorten the length of the miter bar so it wouldn't stick out past the cut edge. However, it's very accurate. I'm thinking of attaching a length of t-track and a stop for better repeatability.

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture but if someone really wants to see it, let me know and I'll try to upload something.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:17 PM

I've thought of several setups that would provide angles relative to the sliding rails, but then I can't use those for reference since they might not be square to the guide rail.

I started wondering if I could somehow take advantage of the grooves underneath the guide rail - since that is the main reference point, but I'd rather have something that doesn't ride/fall with the lifting of the guide rail.

Thanks for the ideas so far. I'm sure between those and my own EZ imagination I'll come up with something I'm comfortable with.

Those who use miter setups ... can you post pics?

Ken K.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracedfar View Post
I use an Incra miter gauge for the few angled cuts I make with my setup. I used M5 nuts and machine screws and washers to attach the fence of the gauge to the off-cut side ACE channel. Then I use the miter bar as a fence.

I can only cut from one side of the guide rail. I also had to shorten the length of the miter bar so it wouldn't stick out past the cut edge. However, it's very accurate. I'm thinking of attaching a length of t-track and a stop for better repeatability.

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture but if someone really wants to see it, let me know and I'll try to upload something.

Would be interested in a picture. From what I am picturing this means you need to do some addition or subtraction, to figure your angle? (angle is at a 90 to what your cutting)
Old 12-07-2016, 02:04 AM

I'll be back in my shop in the morning and will try to remember to take a picture. Because of the way the gauge is marked, setting your angle isn't difficult.

My two biggest concerns, after finding hardware, was cutting a rather expensive miter bar to length and ruining it for any other use, and that I might someday bend my guide rail.

Last edited by Tracedfar; 12-07-2016 at 02:06 AM.