The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Guide Rail Systems

Old 01-28-2014, 06:28 PM

Cool EZ Bevel Problem? Inaccurate Cuts?

In a recent thread someone commented that the EZ system have an inherent problem with beveled cuts (not 90 degrees) that other track systems with dedicated saws do not have.

That statement surprised me since I'd never heard that mentioned before.

How many of you have seen that problem?

BTW, the same thread indicated that the EZ system cut is inaccurate - I think because of flexing of the anti-chip edge, because of sloppiness of the base on the track, because of ... hmmm, I can't recall the rest.

For me, the EZ tracks provide a dead-on cutting of large plywood sheets. More accurate than I've ever had. No more wiggling of the plywood, no more fearing a kickback, and no more burning of the edges. I still need to go back and check the bevel, but its not been an issue that I've noticed.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:46 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk View Post
In a recent thread someone commented that the EZ system have an inherent problem with beveled cuts (not 90 degrees) that other track systems with dedicated saws do not have.

That statement surprised me since I'd never heard that mentioned before.

How many of you have seen that problem?

BTW, the same thread indicated that the EZ system cut is inaccurate - I think because of flexing of the anti-chip edge, because of sloppiness of the base on the track, because of ... hmmm, I can't recall the rest.

For me, the EZ tracks provide a dead-on cutting of large plywood sheets. More accurate than I've ever had. No more wiggling of the plywood, no more fearing a kickback, and no more burning of the edges. I still need to go back and check the bevel, but its not been an issue that I've noticed.

Kenk,

I'm with you on this one. I have used the entire EZ system in a professional environment and have nothing but good things to say about it. I've also had the opportunity to work with Dino on the development of some of the EZ tools and can confirm all the detail and caring that goes into developing an EZ Tool.

Regardless how good a tool is, someone is going to find fault with it.

Burt
Old 02-02-2018, 02:36 PM

Default Beveled Cuts

I was searching the forum for anyone having problems with the EZ1 yielding slightly beveled cuts when the saw is set to 90 degrees and came across this thread, but no answers really. I've been using this system now for a few months and have run into this problem repeatedly. Has anyone come up with a solution?

Thanks, RED.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:29 PM

Default bevel cutting issues.

Red: I had the problem when I first started using the EZ system. I solved the problem two ways. First. I square with a tri square on the base to blade from the bottom of the EZ Base 90 deg. relative to the blade. Check with a triangle square at a gullet of the blade so that the canted teeth do not throw your square off. There are several possibilities for mis alignment of the saw to the base. However! The track saw works square from the base of the EZ base and the tracks themselves. I apologize if this is a "duh!" moment. I have presumed that everyone knew all these things but I was wrong. So I include this in the explanation.

What many woodworkers do not know is that you can get a skewed cut that may show up like a bevel. If you look at the cut on your wood, and there are semi circular lines made by the blade, then your blade is mounted out of square front to back. The blade or the saw must be moved to square the blade. This can be a real trial! I would look at the recent cuts and see if there are marks like I describe. Then first: Make sure your hand presentation is not out of kilter. Then check you blade mounting.If you have washers on the shaft, replace them. Using a caliper, check the front to back square of the blade relative to the track groove. You may have made a simple and easy to make skew when mounting the saw to the base.

Give those a try and let us know what is up. There are less obvious things to try but lets start there.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:07 PM
Master Carpenter

trim both edges and apply the same pressure when cutting.
the edges are designed to apply pressure for clean cuts and clamping very narrow strips.

Any other issue is easily fixable by doing few test cuts and align the saw.
Best way is to trim one triangle or a piece 4-5-6" wide x12"
put the fresh cut edge against the other cut edge of the panel and test for squareness. 100% guarantee to give you the best results.
keep the ac-2 while testing. that provides more stability.
sand the ac-2 if needed to remove the small hamp as per instructions.

tx
d
Old 02-03-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED View Post
I was searching the forum for anyone having problems with the EZ1 yielding slightly beveled cuts when the saw is set to 90 degrees and came across this thread, but no answers really. I've been using this system now for a few months and have run into this problem repeatedly. Has anyone come up with a solution?

Thanks, RED.
Red - you may also want to check the anti-chip saw bas insert. Sometimes this causes the saw to rise at one end. Solution - put some sandpaper under it while on the rail and blade retracted and sand it down a bit.

Mike
Old 02-03-2018, 02:34 PM

What Mike said.
The test is to slowly push your saw onto the track from the end, hold the blade guard up so it doesn't drag, you'll likely feel the saw bump as the anti chip insert hits the track. You have to sand the bottom of the insert until the saw slides smoothly onto the track.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:11 PM
Master Carpenter

Hi guys.
On the beam saws we use a solidstrip for sliding outrigger.
Thinking to go standard with this feature for all saws.
You need a standard 1/2" strip 12" long or smaller.

tx
Old 02-03-2018, 09:19 PM

Assuming you mean outside of the AC-2. If it's replacing the AC-2 it needs to be short as to not foul the blade guard. Problem with all those things that ride on your material is that if there is sawdust on the material they can ride up on the sawdust throwing your cut out of square.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Hi guys.
On the beam saws we use a solidstrip for sliding outrigger.
Thinking to go standard with this feature for all saws.
You need a standard 1/2" strip 12" long or smaller.

tx
Old 02-04-2018, 09:42 AM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
Assuming you mean outside of the AC-2. If it's replacing the AC-2 it needs to be short as to not foul the blade guard. Problem with all those things that ride on your material is that if there is sawdust on the material they can ride up on the sawdust throwing your cut out of square.
sean,. the outrigger/stabilizer is 2 parts.
one replaces the ac-2 and is adjustable( renewable) 5" long.
and the other is a thin strip 3/4"x1/2" high x 12"? long. the length of the base ) that works like a stabilizer.
( removable when off the track.
this is only for the 16" beam saw.

about sawdust...
I can't see a CS without the dust port and shield.
But even there...the ez tracks have channels for the sawdust.
3 years in testing. the biggest problem was sawdust.
the channels take care this issue.

tx.

Last edited by Dino; 02-04-2018 at 09:44 AM.