The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Guide Rail Systems

Old 08-16-2014, 03:00 PM

Could you post more photos of your saw on the base? I'm sure you will find the help you need here. I do not have the moduni base but from what I understand its for saws that are too big for the standard base. IIRC you should mount the saw as far forward as possible on the moduni. The two tabs are for blade alignment I believe.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:22 AM

My apologies for not replying. I sold the saw and bought another. Haven't been on the site for a good while. Once again my apologies.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:33 AM

Default Moduni Base

Hi All,

I am just now getting around to the beginning stages of installing my Moduni base (Medium) to My Makita 5104 10 1/4" saw. I was going to build a jig like others have done to assist in installing the base.

I am going to call EZ on Monday to see if they can give some guidance, but unless I am totally crazy, (most likely am..) I see some potential issues and wanted to get feedback from you guys.

In the photos, it appears that if I use the alignment tabs, it will put the blade about 3 1/8" from the edge of the guide rail ridge. That is probably ok, however I was planning on installing it at 3".

*** The thing that I am more concerned about is that there only appears to be one AC insert attached to the saw and even at max adjustment, it will be no where near the saw blade to provide any anti-chip properties. It might be that the AC insert was installed incorrectly and needs to be flipped around. But even if I do that, it MIGHT barely touch the blade. Shouldn't the blade actually be making a nice cut in that AC insert to provide zero-tolerance anti-chip protection on both sides of the blade?

Shouldn't there be quite a bit of zero-tolerance, anti-chip protections be built into this beautiful base somewhere? I cannot imagine having a base like this and having NO anti-chip properties.

The base itself is awesome. It is a nice, snug fit on the rail and rides nicely.

Also, unlike the universal saw base that fits 7 1/4" saws, there is no second channel to use for bevel cuts. I guess there is to be no bevel cutting with this base?

I purchased the 10 1/4" Makita just to use with this base, so I am extremely hopeful that I am just crazy and looking at it all wrong.

I measured the base and it is in fact a Medium, which is what my saw requires. The max saw shoe size is 17 3/4" x 8 3/4". I was hoping that I was sent a large size by mistake, but I dont think that is it.

also, if you have mounted a Moduni base, what kind of hardware did you use? No hardware comes with the base. Do you think that double sided tape would be substantial enough?

Any thoughts that you can give will be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moduni base.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	7216   Click image for larger version

Name:	moduni base closeup.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	7217  

Last edited by JamesMac; 09-17-2017 at 11:44 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 09-17-2017, 11:53 AM
Master Carpenter

hI James.
First, you can reverse the antichip insert/ stabilizer.
I can see that it was installed wrong from the factory.

For bevel cuts you can always shift the antichip insert to avoid any damage but leave it there for stability.

Remove the long edge and use the track as an edge guide.
You have to figure out the off-set but works.
Best if you remove 1/8" from the tabs....another small mistake and set the blade at 3"

When doing bevel cuts there is no need for antichip protection.
only stability.

We do that with the moduni base due to large blades and older saws.

thanks.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:58 AM

I would check with EZ as to what the correct dimension is supposed to be - I have two saws, both mounted by EZ, and that distance is noticeably different between the two saws. Not a problem (normally) as the short one is usually mounted on the UEG. It made short work of the ACE when I used it with a track once by mistake though.

One of the other track manufacturers supplies a little wooden gauge with their base to be used when mounting the saw - it serves two purposes; it sets the saw at the correct distance from the groove in the base so the blade is in the optimal position relative to the ACE, and also allows you to set the blade parallel to the base. Not sure how easy it would be to find using "Search", but I believe that Rick (Bump'nStump) posted photos of the one that he had made.