The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Guide Rail Systems

Old 12-07-2017, 08:19 PM

Default Your Longest Run of Guide Rail Used?

I have collected a fair number of EZ Smart guide rails over the years and I find myself wondering how many guide rails can be connected (center channel connector included) before the whole length starts be in unwieldy or risks collapsing under its own weight.

Next summer I need to trim off a 12 foot width of T-111 barn siding that is rotting at the bottom of the sliding door. I figured I'd connect enough guide rails to do that cut and finish the cut near the steel frame sides using an oscillating saw.

What's the longest run of guide rail you've made/used? And what was the use?
Old 12-07-2017, 10:41 PM

I bought connectors for my 72" and 54" guide rails, 10.5' combined, to rip some long but crooked boards that the UEG wasn't designed to handle.

The connectors worked perfectly. I double checked my line best I could. It dialed in very straight. The whole process was easier than I expected.

If I needed it all the time, I wouldn't hesitate to get another 54" rail and a carry bag for the rails, connectors, and allen key. Then I could leave the 72" rail on my PBB.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:44 AM

I was thinking of buying more rails, but I also want to see what's up with the new EZ-one "table saw style" design...

Might be able to throw a smaller rail on the bench if the new thing is sliding the wood around.

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Old 12-08-2017, 05:59 AM

I have use rail combinations to straight line 12' & 16' oak when making molding.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 12-08-2017, 05:08 PM

I have used 2 6s' and a 3' a total of 15' to cut stair skirts
Old 12-08-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk View Post
I have collected a fair number of EZ Smart guide rails over the years and I find myself wondering how many guide rails can be connected (center channel connector included) before the whole length starts be in unwieldy or risks collapsing under its own weight.

Next summer I need to trim off a 12 foot width of T-111 barn siding that is rotting at the bottom of the sliding door. I figured I'd connect enough guide rails to do that cut and finish the cut near the steel frame sides using an oscillating saw.

What's the longest run of guide rail you've made/used? And what was the use?

I've done 16' on a # of occasions (4 sections of track- see the pic). Going w/multiple sections of track can introduce a bit of non-straightness where the tracks join. Couple of things help alleviate that.

One is to use three EZ connector pieces (two bottom; one top center); and, use 5/16" or 8mm rods in the side grooves ; or, square rod that's been modified. (See the pic. Drill and tap for using allen nuts to hold in place.) Once the track pieces are joined with the EZ connectors, slide in the side pieces and fasten with the allen nuts. I use 12"-16" long side pieces; centered between two adjoining track pieces, and do both sides of the track;
makes it quite rigid.

If the track were sitting flat on a piece of wood, it might help to clamp the center point, or at least back it up with something so that the motion of pushing the saw doesn't push it out of square.
If I understand your question/project, tho, you'll be hanging the track in the vertical position against the siding in order to make the cut? If that's the case, I'd use a couple of 'hangers' located in the center of the side slot of each section of track. Something like what's shown in the pic, far left item. That way, the side hangers can be positioned and held in place with a single screw to provide a non-moving, non- sagging track.

HTH,
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16' straight rip.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	7264   Click image for larger version

Name:	aluminum-  EZ track edge options.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	7265   Click image for larger version

Name:	handles-  ez track side slot-  variations.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	7266  
Old 12-09-2017, 09:45 AM

Is there a length at which the guide rails will sag enough to risk damage when held at the ends? The Sagulator doesn't list EZ Smart Guide Rails! :-D

I recently bought a pre-owned B300 Bridge from Bryon (posts here - thanks!!) and was thinking of using it to make a very long and narrow powerbench to rip 8 foot lengths. I think that means the guide rail will need to be 10-11 feet long ... and I'm thinking about joining existing rails rather than buying two new 72" rails. I'm wondering about the amount of sag when that guide rail is lifted via the Bridge.

Ken
Old 12-09-2017, 10:04 AM

Default Sparton

This video is pretty impressive about sag of track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPgd...hannel=EZSmart
Old 12-09-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk View Post
Is there a length at which the guide rails will sag enough to risk damage when held at the ends? The Sagulator doesn't list EZ Smart Guide Rails! :-D

I recently bought a pre-owned B300 Bridge from Bryon (posts here - thanks!!) and was thinking of using it to make a very long and narrow powerbench to rip 8 foot lengths. I think that means the guide rail will need to be 10-11 feet long ... and I'm thinking about joining existing rails rather than buying two new 72" rails. I'm wondering about the amount of sag when that guide rail is lifted via the Bridge.

Ken
I had that setup on my original Power Bench. I posted about in on my blog.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 12-09-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brt55 View Post
This video is pretty impressive about sag of track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPgd...hannel=EZSmart
Wow! I thought I'd seen all of Dino's videos but somehow missed that one. That is very close to what I was thinking of doing!! I pictured a solid surface, but I especially like that he was using a mid-length clamp to overcome wood sag. I didn't think of that. So many possible ways to do it! Ahhhhhh!!!!

BTW, Dino is so funny in his videos. I liked the "I have to get out of here before the trucks come" (or something like that). He sure can think "outside of the box". That doesn't come so easy for me, but I am trying.

Thanks! ... and I'll look up your blog post Dik!!!

I'd like to learn how to make videos, but it appears that having decent sound quality requires a camera that is above my price point at this time. My small Panasonic waterproof camera does awesome video quality, but poor sound quality. Plus videos make HUGE file sizes!

Ken