The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > How-To

Old 10-01-2012, 01:30 AM

Default Moduni Base Help

I'm new to the EZ system and somewhat new to woodworking but I just bought a house and have lots of projects lined up. I purchased the EZ start up package plus the miter square to get started. Being left handed I asked Dino to swap the Smart Base for a Moduni base which he kindly did. My Smart Table top is done and I've used it but I've been sitting on the Moduni base not completely sure of how to set it up. I've seen Dino's video but I haven't seen any pictures here of the particular Moduni base that I have. Please excuse me if these questions are ridiculous.

First I would like to confirm that I have it laid out right (I'm lefty). I want to know if I have the top of the base up or if I need to flip it over. The only real difference of the two sides is the direction of bolts that hold the anti-chip insert. Also, seems like I would want to cut off the protruding ends of the cross bars. Any reason I shouldn't.

Next I need to screw it together. I understand that I need to counter sink the screws from the bottom. Given the screw length I would need to drill halfway through the cross bars for the nuts. Is this right?

Finally I need help mounting my saw to the base. Could someone please post links to directions on doing this?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0525.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	4927   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0526.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	4928   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0518.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	4929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0519.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	4930  
Old 10-01-2012, 09:40 AM

Welcome to the forum and EZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil1 View Post
First I would like to confirm that I have it laid out right (I'm lefty). I want to know if I have the top of the base up or if I need to flip it over. You have the anti chip down, that is correct. The only real difference of the two sides is the direction of bolts that hold the anti-chip insert. Not sure what you mean, but looks right from the photos. Also, seems like I would want to cut off the protruding ends of the cross bars. Any reason I shouldn't. Are you referring to the bars on the end that hold it all together, or the ones in the blade opening that are used to align the blade when first mounting the saw? The latter should be cut off once the saw is mounted. The former can be trimmed, but not necessary.

Next I need to screw it together. I understand that I need to counter sink the screws from the bottom. Given the screw length I would need to drill halfway through the cross bars for the nuts. Is this right? The screws you are showing appear to be for mounting the saw.

Finally I need help mounting my saw to the base. Could someone please post links to directions on doing this? Not sure there are directions for the moduni base, but there are several things to keep in mind. See below.

Thanks
Your Moduni is different from my earlier model but I'll give it a try:
  1. The saw needs to be forward enough so that when the blade is set to cut 1/4", the teeth of the saw will be buried in the anti-chip so you get anti chip protection.
  2. You don't want the saw so far forward that the blade, when fully down, is further forward than the slot in the base.
  3. You will want to remove the scored area at the back of the blade opening so that the blade guard can be fully extended.
I would remove the anti-chip and place the base on the saw (with the saw upside down), and position it as indicated above. Then clamp it with several clamps. Check that the blade and blade guard are fully extendable and that the blade is aligned against the two tabs, and drill a hole where you can get to the nut from the saw side. Counter sink it just enough that the head of the screw does not protrude below the bottom of the base (or it will rub on the track). With the first screw in place, assure that the blade is still aligned and drill a second hole. A third or fourth hole are also good to have to keep the base snuggly against the saw.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 10-01-2012, 03:17 PM

Thanks Dik. If those screws are for securing the saw to the base then I need to get the screws to assemble the base. What type of screws do I need?
The base of my saw is aluminum. I thought I might thread the base or should I use the nuts?
Old 10-01-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks Dik. If those screws are for securing the saw to the base then I need to get the screws to assemble the base. What type of screws do I need?
The base of my saw is aluminum. I thought I might thread the base or should I use the nuts?
Phil1
When I had one of the older models it did not come with screw for the end
bars but they did have double sided tape on them to hold in place till you screw them in. Not sure whats best flat head wood screw maybe 3 for each end.

What you can do after you know how mutch space you have or need. You can place the thin bar to what ever length of the base you need or leave it don't really matter and if there also to wide you can trim them so they don't stick out. Dik has told you the most importent part make sure everything will work nice and smooth be for you cut anything down to size.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:36 PM

Yes, the bars have double sided tape. I'll use wood screws to hold it together. Wasn't sure if wood screws would hold in the acrylic and not cause it to crack. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, the bars have double sided tape. I'll use wood screws to hold it together. Wasn't sure if wood screws would hold in the acrylic and not cause it to crack. Thanks.
You still need to pre drill and the UHMW takes screws pretty good.
Dino does have a video putting a moduni base together the new one is just a bit different.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn1 View Post
You still need to pre drill and the UHMW takes screws pretty good.
Dino does have a video putting a moduni base together the new one is just a bit different.
In the video regarding screwing the base together, Dino says, "I'm going to give you some special screws, not the ones that I'm using now [in the video]." This led me to think that the screws with the nuts in my picture back in my initial post were these "special screws".

The Smart Table came with a 1-page instruction sheet that was completely adequate. It indicated the use of the different types of screws. Instructions for the Moduni base would be very helpful.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
In the video regarding screwing the base together, Dino says, "I'm going to give you some special screws, not the ones that I'm using now [in the video]." This led me to think that the screws with the nuts in my picture back in my initial post were these "special screws".

The Smart Table came with a 1-page instruction sheet that was completely adequate. It indicated the use of the different types of screws. Instructions for the Moduni base would be very helpful.

Yup I hear what you are saying and I never got the special screws also just
the ones that hold the base to the saw in witch like you said tap the holes
or use the nuts I have done it both ways and it works fine so what ever you feel best with.

I know the first one is the hard one to get done but after that you will feel mutch better just take your time and look things over very good before you cut anything majour extra screw holes are not a problem.

Just make sure the guard works like it should push the saw down and make sure you get some ac working for you at that point and then with the saw set like Dik said for a 1/8 or 1/4" sheet of wood. you have some ac working also. Once you have it on the base then you can work on the triming if you need to.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:28 AM

Great! Thanks for the help. I'm ready to go. I just put legs on my Smart Table top so that's 100% ready now.

You're right about getting past the 1st one. This type of information really needs to be readily available. It's a big hurtle and one that I'm sure scares off many would-be first time buyers.