The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Woodworking Software

Old 08-26-2012, 04:44 AM

Default Sketch Up rotate

Trying to learn Sketch Up and actually doing pretty well. In Corel Draw and Adobe Illustrator I am used to some features that I can not find. Mirror, Rotate, Reflect, Spin, and Orient.

Are these feature available in Sketch Up 8? Are they available in PRO?

I know about the Rotate with the protractor but that is a very fussy or annoying way to rotate the part. Is there an easier way?

Phil
Old 08-26-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philphoto View Post
Trying to learn Sketch Up and actually doing pretty well. In Corel Draw and Adobe Illustrator I am used to some features that I can not find.

Mirror: Not a feature, you can accomplish it by doing a streatch with a -1 arguement, but there is a great plugin that does it well. http://forums.sketchucation.com/down...e.php?id=91934

Rotate: There is a Rotate Tool Rotate.PNG

Reflect: Not sure what that accomplishes that Mirror does no do.

Spin: I assume that this is merely Rotate in the "horizontal" plane.

Orient: Not sure what this is.

Are these feature available in Sketch Up 8? Are they available in PRO? PRO and Standard have the same tools and functions, except that PRO has Solid Editing Tools, more import/export choices, and comes with LayOut.

I know about the Rotate with the protractor but that is a very fussy or annoying way to rotate the part. Is there an easier way?

Phil
Phil,

Hope that this helps.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 08-26-2012, 03:32 PM

Default Puzzled a bit.

Mirror: Not a feature, you can accomplish it by doing a streatch with a -1 arguement, but there is a great plugin that does it well. http://forums.sketchucation.com/down...e.php?id=91934

Not sure what the a-1 argument is and the link says I am not authorized to look or download the --what ever it is .

Rotate: There is a Rotate Tool Attachment 4853
I know about that rotate. The axis is a bit annoying but know why it is there. The other programs I mentioned are a bit easier to rotate.
Reflect: Not sure what that accomplishes that Mirror does no do.
Mirror moves the article in a flip. Reflect makes an identical copy on the selected axis. Adobe and Corel use different names for the same operation.
Spin: I assume that this is merely Rotate in the "horizontal" plane.
Adobe and Corel use different names for the same operation.
Orient: Not sure what this is.
Corel allows you to precisely position a piece based upon it's position on the page. You have VCB for the item and a VCB for it's place on the page.
Are these feature available in Sketch Up 8? Are they available in PRO? PRO and Standard have the same tools and functions, except that PRO has Solid Editing Tools, more import/export choices, and comes with LayOut.
Not sure what Layout is but I will look at it. The Solid Editing Tools are pretty much standard with Corel, Flexi Sign, and I think Illustrator has them as well. Very nice features when you need them.

I really miss "Nudge" unless it is hidden somewhere. Last night I fought with placing two grouped items until I just gave up. I have read about turning off the grid but can not find the places they (the Help files) talk about.
Sketch Up is a good program and I am sure it is worth the time to learn. Just that some of the conventions I am used to I can not find or may not be there. I do not see how anyone can get away from learning Sketch Up, it is used in so many places. I also do not see how so many users have been able to get by without the really valuable tools like Nudge and Orient.

Thanks for the help,
Phil
Old 08-26-2012, 09:43 PM

Sorry, I forgot that you have to be a member to download from the Sketchucation forum, and I believe joining, reading and asking questions there in the novice forum is a good move for someone learning to use SU. I have attached the zip file for the mirror plugin, as I find it to be a great tool. There are a number of plugins that I use constantly and I hope to eventually post something about each as it applies to woodworking.

When you do a stretch (Stretch.PNG), you can start to drag one of the handles and then type "-1" into the Measurement bar in the lower right or the SU window (without the "", and that is the default location). This will cause the selected component/group/collection to be mirrored. The mirror tool lets you select a component/group/collection and select the line or plane about which you want it to be mirrored. There is an explanation of how to use the tool in this thread on the Sketchucation forum.

As for Rotate, I have never used Adobe Illustrator and have done little in Corel Draw (which I find to be too limiting to actually model anything), but that said, I find that the rotate tools allows me to rotate things to within a fraction of a degree along what ever axis I choose. This is necessary when modeling real world things to real world size. Again, you can rotate by a specific amount by typing in the Measurement window. or you can snap to a specific point or surface (for instance when want an object to turn until it hits another object).

"Corel allows you to precisely position a piece based upon it's position on the page. You have VCB for the item and a VCB for it's place on the page."

Since SU is for modeling 3D objects and not creating pages, this doesn't fit how it works.

LayOut lets you take your SU model, picture files, etc. and create pages that can be printed or made into PDF documents. I use this a lot to provide Dino with images, etc. for patent applications. I'm sure it is not nearly as versatile as Corel Draw, but it lets me link directly to my models without having to export/import anything.

I don't know if the SU Solid Editing tools are the same as those or not, but they allow you to take two solids and combine them to create an outer shell, Reduce them to their intersection, join them together, subtract the first from the second, trim the second with the intersection of the first, and lastly, keep everything but the intersection. I use the subtract all the time to easily modify a solid that needs to trimmed down to what I need.

"I really miss "Nudge" unless it is hidden somewhere. Last night I fought with placing two grouped items until I just gave up. I have read about turning off the grid but can not find the places they (the Help files) talk about.
Sketch Up is a good program and I am sure it is worth the time to learn. Just that some of the conventions I am used to I can not find or may not be there. I do not see how anyone can get away from learning Sketch Up, it is used in so many places. I also do not see how so many users have been able to get by without the really valuable tools like Nudge and Orient.
"

Nudge I think is for placing an object on a page, and would not be precise enough for SU. You can use inference to place things exactly. Construction lines and points are extremely useful in creating a model from measurements, but is another very long explaination.

Actually SU does not have nor need a grid (see this page about the lack of a grid, as well as inference), what you were looking for is actually in LayOut.

While I have not used the programs you mentioned, I have used a number of CAD programs, beginning with Generic CAD (which was 2D only) with my first PC clone, and I find SU to be by far the easiest to learn and use, and by far the most versatile.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mirror36.zip (9.9 KB, 3 views)

Dik Harrison

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 08-26-2012, 10:37 PM

Default A better explanation

"Corel allows you to precisely position a piece based upon it's position on the page. You have VCB for the item and a VCB for it's place on the page."

Since SU is for modeling 3D objects and not creating pages, this doesn't fit how it works.

A better explanation: If I draw one table leg, and I want it exactly 2' 8.250" to the right of the leg, I enter in the numbers into the orient box and it places it.

Nudge I think is for placing an object on a page, and would not be precise enough for SU. You can use inference to place things exactly. Construction lines and points are extremely useful in creating a model from measurements, but is another very long explaination.

Nudge is a "Ctrl" key or "Alt" key operation. If you use the arrow keys to move an item you can modify the movement by.01 or .001" in the direction that you are arrow moving. Some times you want an item close, but not touching.

None of this really matters a lot. Sketch up is a modeling application and CorelDraw is a draw application. They both have positives and negatives depending upon who is using them and for what reason. Not exactly good or bad, just the way of things.

I still like Sketch Up a lot better now that I know how it works (well at least as much as I know) and it has some really nice things about it in that you can make a board and work from there. The challenge is if you have learned something one way -- now you will find it a different way. In advertising we always understood that selling is learning and learning is based upon what you know. If I "know" one way it is hard to "unknow" and "new know" to get it right and do not mix it up.

CorelDraw will do a decent job of drafting, and more, but it does single page work best of all. 3D seems to be in a world of it's own and it is almost shocking how good Sketch Up is and free to boot.

I am working on a review of Cabinet Crucher and it is tied to Excel and Sketch up. Very nice grouping of software for the cabinetmaker. Quite honestly I can not think of a better program set for drawing models and cutlists than Excel and Sketch Up.

Back a few years ago when SketchUp was newer there were some guys working on a cutting layout program, and some other plug ins for woodworkers. Has that gone anywhere? Any other woodworker -- SketchUp groups out there?

Thanks for the help,
Phil
Old 08-26-2012, 10:41 PM

Default Tools

I have a Wacom Tablet, that I use for plotting embroidery (CNC stitch layout and punching).

Has anyone tried one? Dow you like it? I had one of the older models and loved it and now I have the biggest touch that Wacom makes and I really am having a hard time getting in the swing of it.

Thoughts??

Phil
Old 08-26-2012, 11:07 PM

Default ???

Actually SU does not have nor need a grid (see this page about the lack of a grid, as well as inference), what you were looking for is actually in LayOut.

A bit confused. I watched the videos that were recommended in the other thread, and the presenter was having a problem placing the rectangle where he wanted it and said the part was trying to snap to the grid.

I was trying to match up two boards and the grid or what ever it was, would not let me. The part snapped to the grid (or???) either too far ahead or behind but not even with. On butt joints this will be a very big issue. Did not want to use the "glue" for these two parts. So I need to get some enlightenment. Any ideas?

Phil
Old 08-26-2012, 11:25 PM

Phil,

Give a link to the video, and I'll take a look. On my iPad right now, will respond to some of the other thoughts later.

Dik Harrison

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models

Last edited by Dik Harrison; 08-27-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:25 AM

Phil,

In answer to a question you posed earlier, there is a sub-forum on the Sketchucation forum that is dedicated to woodworking. It is under the Special Interest forum and you not only have to be a member of the main forum, but have to join the self-registering Woodworking User Group to access the sub-forum.

I haven't read the forum in a long time, but there are lots of models available there to help one get started with a similar project (so you can see how someone else tackled the model).

Dik Harrison

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 08-27-2012, 09:10 AM

The Design, Click, Build Blog at Fine Woodworking is a good SU/woodworking resource.

Dik Harrison

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models