The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Woodworking Software

Old 09-01-2012, 07:57 PM

Default Training Review

I have just completed "Google Sketch Up Guide for Woodworkers -- The Basics" By Dave Richards. Published by Taunton Press -- Fine Woodworking. $12.95

After three days of working my way through the same project three times, I have gained a solid basic working knowledge and skill with SketchUp. I have moved on to another eBook, but want to pass on my review.

If you are serious about learning SketchUp (and I think it is a valuable skill to acquire)". . .The Basics" by Dave Richards is a very good place to start.
You get:
  1. The video (about 1 hour long) download type playable on your computer.
  2. Working drawings to compare your work against the instructors examples.
  3. A complete word for word transcript of the entire video -- no needless talk.
  4. Hardware component drawings.
  5. Cheat Sheet, for key commands and alter or modifier keys.
  6. Drawing package -- Exploded view,dimensions and scenes, for packaging and printing training.
While this basics does not include drawing rounds or turned pieces, it includes most every part of Sketch Up that a woodworker is going to need. Keep in mind that there are many ways to approach the same project, there are some great short cuts you will learn.

I am attaching a SketchUp model that I made as my first full working model. You will need Sketch up to look at it fully. While this is not exactly high tech, for me it was a big improvement.

I have always relied upon paper and pencil my drafting tools and table. Now those will be a thing of the past. I honestly haven't had this much fun for a long time.

One only needs a standard computer and you can view this eBook and work with SketchUp. I went through lessons a little faster, only because I have a hot rod computer with dual 28" monitors. I was able to watch the video and work the drawings right along, side by side. However that hardware set up is nice not required, because you have the drawings and transcript as well. I would suggest that you work through everything more than once. You get better each time, and I want to be like the instructor and fly through building a model. Fast, repeatable, quickly alterable, drawings that I can take into the shop with full confidence, is a new goal for me.

I am not connected in any way to Taunton or Mr. Richards. I am a Sketch Up user and really like the program and the Basics book. Available here.
http://store.finewoodworking.com/fin...ad-067125.html

I hope this review has helped ,
Phil
Attached Files
File Type: skp WallCabinet.skp (372.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 09-01-2012, 11:36 PM

Look good phil made an order also thanks

I was just starting the coarse and learned things I never knew not bad phil thanks for info.
I can get around a drawing already made with out to mutch trouble but this helps to draw your own for sure.

John...

Last edited by bigjohn1; 09-02-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:03 AM

Phil,

Very good model.

For those of you that don't yet have SketchUp installed, you can install a SketchUp viewer on this page.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 09-02-2012, 03:21 AM

Default Considering

Three days ago, I could only draw a rectangle, line and push pull something in SketchUp and I sure would not save what I drew. A testament to the ease of learning SketchUp and I think the high value of the eBook ". . .The Basics".

I have the book by Tim Killen (his first one) and I am also buying Robert Lang's SketchUp series. All of which focus on woodworking techniques in SketchUp. I am fascinated that two or three different authors can approach the same task in different ways, and achieve the same excellent result. There are some things that I would like to have out of other software packages, but nothing that is a deal killer for SketchUp. I have CorelDraw, SketchList (Sold by Rockler), TurboCAD, DesignCAD, Design Intuition, and IMSI Instant Woodworking Design. The only ones I still value is CorelDraw and now SketchUp.

My next review will be on CabinetCruncher and CabinetViewer. The first is Excel spread sheet based and tied to Cabinet Viewer which is SketchUp based. All these packages are tied together and let you pick the Isometric model and sets that you want (there are over 900 models available) and each model is tied to a spreadsheet and cutlist. Impressive! Especially if you have to build cabinets in any volume. There are hobby, serious amateur, and pro levels.

Don't get me wrong, I love my pencil and paper. Right up until mom wants a change or two, or we need some more cabinets downstairs and it is a little different size.

In any case I haven't had this much fun in a long time.

Phil