The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > How-To

Old 06-25-2018, 05:09 PM

Default What is the best way to 45 degree bevel an edge?

I need to 45 degree bevel a 20" wide piece of 1/2" mdf and a 20" wide piece of 1/2 plywood. I have EZ track and the UEG.

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2018, 10:42 PM

First I'll admit that I have not yet done bevel cuts with my EZ tracks, but the concept is really pretty simple.

First, remove the anti-chip edges from both sides of the track since they won't be involved in the cut. For this cut you'll be using the "other" Smartbase groove that moves the blade farther away from the track.

Second, set the saw for the 45 degree bevel angle. I might double check the accuracy of the angle - rather than relying on the saw's preset - just to be safe. I once did a bunch of cuts without realizing that my saw wasn't quite set to 90 degrees. Ugh!

Third, position the track for the cut. I would think it would be best to do the bevel cut on a piece of scrap wood, and then use that to determine the necessary distance from kerf edge to track edge - I think I'd use a combination square to set and repeat that distance.

From what I understand you'll have to be careful not to allow the saw to tilt on the base. Some have created extra fixtures to make the saw more stable.

Again, it might be best to gain some experience using scrap wood before going for the real thing.

Fourth, cut.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:51 PM

What do you guys think? Should the anti-chip insert be removed from the saw base?
Old 06-26-2018, 07:23 PM

The ACE can slightly lift the track affecting the accuracy of your angle unless you clamp the guide rail down flush. I suggest you make a test cut, adjust, and go from there.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk View Post
First I'll admit that I have not yet done bevel cuts with my EZ tracks, but the concept is really pretty simple.

First, remove the anti-chip edges from both sides of the track since they won't be involved in the cut. For this cut you'll be using the "other" Smartbase groove that moves the blade farther away from the track.
Okay, so use the other groove in the ez track. What chip insert in the ez saw base. I guess I'll need a new chip insert.

Second, set the saw for the 45 degree bevel angle. I might double check the accuracy of the angle - rather than relying on the saw's preset - just to be safe. I once did a bunch of cuts without realizing that my saw wasn't quite set to 90 degrees. Ugh!

Third, position the track for the cut. I would think it would be best to do the bevel cut on a piece of scrap wood, and then use that to determine the necessary distance from kerf edge to track edge - I think I'd use a combination square to set and repeat that distance.

From what I understand you'll have to be careful not to allow the saw to tilt on the base. Some have created extra fixtures to make the saw more stable.

Again, it might be best to gain some experience using scrap wood before going for the real thing.

Fourth, cut.
Thanks, for your help.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:20 PM

Ya, unless you want to cut a new slot in it.
Success of the whole exercise depends on how critical the angle you want to cut is. Hard to accurately set angles on a saw. Saw wants to tip over when on the track, maybe screw a piece of 1/2" ply under the Base to help prevent this, but still it's hard not to be wiggly when cutting which will effect your angle. Make sure you clamp your track down. Hope +- a few degrees on your angle is ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post
What do you guys think? Should the anti-chip insert be removed from the saw base?
Old 06-26-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
Ya, unless you want to cut a new slot in it.
Success of the whole exercise depends on how critical the angle you want to cut is. Hard to accurately set angles on a saw. Saw wants to tip over when on the track, maybe screw a piece of 1/2" ply under the Base to help prevent this, but still it's hard not to be wiggly when cutting which will effect your angle. Make sure you clamp your track down. Hope +- a few degrees on your angle is ok.
Plus or minus a couple degrees either way and I'm good. I'll just set the Makita 5007 to 45 degrees and that will be good for me. I just want the saw to be stable, the cuts I have to make aren't to long so, that helps. I will check out putting 1/2" material under the base and clamp the track to the material I'm cutting, thanks.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:26 AM

BTW Sven, the Farm & Fleet in Woodstock is one of my favorite shopping destinations. Very difficult to leave there without spending too much.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk View Post
BTW Sven, the Farm & Fleet in Woodstock is one of my favorite shopping destinations. Very difficult to leave there without spending too much.
Nice, you're from the area, kenk! I've been hanging out at Menards & Farm & Fleet for quite sometime. Project basement/soundproof home theater room.

Tom
Old 06-27-2018, 01:55 PM

I'm in the "getting the place ready to sell" phase. Trying to sift through a lifetime worth of crap.

Hopefully retiring to a place in northern WI next year ... where woodworking can become a bigger part of my hobby life. :-)