The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > How-To

Old 05-18-2017, 09:03 AM

Default Storage, navigation, chipping and dust

So I finally have everything attached, and squared up and cutting reasonably well. As for the anti-chip edge, I like that it will hold down the wood, but I am not getting anti chip behavior. I have laid the wood "good side down" and I am getting a bunch of chipping on the bad side. I even pit a strip of blue tape on it to try to reduce it and that helped a little. When I cut with the grain of the top veneer it is not bad at all, When I cross cut relative to the top veneer is when it gets worse. Not as bad as what I get at Lowes, so better, but not perfect. FWIW, I am using the recommended Diablo blade, and it is brand new.

I am thrilled that I was able to cut out my cabinet side panels with accuracy and repeatability. This was proven to me when I screwed up drilling the system holes on one of them and had to re-make it. It worked out perfect, right off the bat, no tweakiness. 1 cut reusing the repeater setting and the other just laying the panel next to the previous one and indexing the track accordingly. Bravo! I am beginning to gain the confidence that I have with my table saw, using this system. A bit more practice and who knows what I can accomplish!!

Here are where some questions come in...
For my table, I am using a 2'x4' bench made from 2x4 lumber and topped with a double thick laminated piece of MDF. I figured that if Festool folks didn't mind cutting into their table, I would not worry about mine either I have been generally cutting off pieces and letting them fall to the floor, since my "good" piece is under the track. This has allowed me to not cut into the table too much, but I have all sorts of cuts in it so far so it will do for the time being until I get something else setup.

I am using the table longways because that happens to be the way it is currently configured in the shop. But when I make a cut it leaves me with the situation of where to put the saw and track and so on while I move the piece out and get the next piece moved in. (Ideas?) The one thought I am considering is turning the table the opposite orientation and working across the narrower side.

Secondly, I have spent a lot of energy tweaking things to get the track and cabinet maker and repeater configured to repeatably cut nice and square. And unlike Dino in his video, I am not able to whip it on and off and get a repeatably square configuration. I loved watching him test square by putting it on drawing a line, removing it and putting it on the other way and drawing another line. That is not even remotely possible in my current system, and perhaps not with my equipment, since his square seemed to be different than the cabinet maker square. Anyway, it is configured and I don't want to take it apart, what is the best way to store it when not in use, so that I can keep it all configured and screwed together and not risk bumping it out of square or damaging it?

Lastly, is there a good way to collect dust form a circular saw? I know a lot of the dedicated track saws have dust ports, but not so much the circular saws. Suggestions?

Thanks!
--Abs
Old 05-18-2017, 10:57 AM

Addressing one point of your post - keeping the Cabinet Maker square. Because the "joint" between the square and track is flexible, and EZ recommends against screwing the knobs too tightly, there's always the possibility that it could get bumped and go out of square. The answer to this is to have some quick and easy way to check and reset the assembly.

What has worked for me, is a simple fixture - a piece of plywood and an aluminum strip - used for aligning the track perpendicular to the square. It takes a matter of seconds to recheck the assembly, and only slightly longer to readjust for a perfect 90. Because of the square length, I do not store it assembled to the track, and so have to set the angle every time I use it. I have the original square as well as the longer version, and use it when just squaring up panels; the longer square can be used to cut multiple identical parts, similar to the repeater but, in my opinion, much easier to use (and a lot lighter).

I recently bought a large square from Anderson Plywood https://www.andersonplywood.com/squa...ol-mft-square/ and use it to square the bridge to the fence on my PBB but it doesn't work well for the Cabinet Maker - although it would work for setting the aluminum strip perpendicular to the reference edge on my alignment fixture. As an aside, I have a 12" Swanson Speed Square that is recommended for alignment, but I found the one that I bought was out a little - remember that this type of square has 3 alignment surfaces, and only one of mine checked relatively close to 90. I found a local machine shop that skimmed the surfaces on a CNC mill for $25 and it works well now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4158.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	7092   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4159.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	7093   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4160.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	7094  
Old 05-18-2017, 12:09 PM

tomp913 : I like your device/design. I would have to tweak it some if I wanted to do the same thing since I am actually still using the ACE strips, and I don't trust them as a reference edge. Perhaps I can rig something thinner that would fit in the extrusion opening or something like that. Or possibly something that stands proud enough to hit the rail.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:03 PM

It's easy enough to slide the ACE forward in the groove to check/set square and then move it back into position.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp913 View Post
It's easy enough to slide the ACE forward in the groove to check/set square and then move it back into position.
I should have thought of that. (Duh!)
Old 05-18-2017, 05:09 PM

Regarding storage ... I use one of the older EZ Smart Tables for cutting and a separate table to stow the track when not in use. Right now I just use a collapsable table purchased at one of the big box stores. Eventually I plan to build an official assembly table that is a cross betweent the EZ clamp table and the Kreg table.

Regarding chipping ... Its hard for me to guess why you're not getting good results. Did you start with a fresh (new) ACE when you started with the current saw and blade? Did you start with a fresh (new) base insert when you started with the current saw and blade? - both have to be swapped out.

About dust collection ... Eurekazone sells an EZSMART Dust Port and Dust Shield that you attach to your saw. Look in the EZ Ready Power Tools - Components section. The product page provides videos on how to install it. The EZ Ready saws come with these already on-board.