The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > The Old Wood Stove

Old 04-21-2013, 08:39 PM

Currently getting my baltic birch in Mesa, AZ 50x50 3/4 sheet going for $55.00. The 3/8" sheets are going for about $ 25.00.

I have to travel 200 miles to get it and bring it home to Yuma, AZ. Not cheap!

All plywood and dimensional lumber has really jumped in the past six months. An example: OSB was going for as little as $6.49 at HD six months ago now $17.99.

The oak and maple ply is ugly uneven and warps on the store shelves as it is brought in. This should never happen if it is handled properly.
PowerBench to Smart Table
EZ Track System 64"
SSRK
Smart Clamps
Old 04-21-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey49 View Post
Currently getting my baltic birch in Mesa, AZ 50x50 3/4 sheet going for $55.00. The 3/8" sheets are going for about $ 25.00.

I have to travel 200 miles to get it and bring it home to Yuma, AZ. Not cheap!

All plywood and dimensional lumber has really jumped in the past six months. An example: OSB was going for as little as $6.49 at HD six months ago now $17.99.

The oak and maple ply is ugly uneven and warps on the store shelves as it is brought in. This should never happen if it is handled properly.
ALL of the ply by the home depots near me are terrible unless you can find some very old stock arauco. but even then, it is all picked through already.

the veneer on the "cabinet grade" ply at home depot is LITERALLY paper thin. i could catch it with my finger nail and peel it off. i'd honestly rather have my entire cabinet made of just raw mdf with laquer on it than use the ply over here.

Unfortunately, if I want whole sheets of ply, there is only one lumber yard near me that has a sane delivery price. I do not have a truck, so I can't bring it home. As I said in another thread, I was actually considering bringing my cordless saw, ripsizer and smart table to the lumber yard and quickly ripping it in their parking lot. Other option is to buy a panel cart and wheel the suckers home 9 blocks, but i'd look like a damn fool

I'll stick with the $15 delivery fee i guess

-Christopher
Old 04-21-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
Be glad you guys don't live in South Florida. Everything decent needs to be trucked in long distances, so it's very pricey. Cypress and SYP construction-grade lumber is cheap, but cabinet-grade is not. The cheapest that I've found is $88 for maple 4x8-3/4 sheets A-1. Gotta order that and wait--it's not stocked.
My plan was to use either baltic birch or mdf core for stability (slab doors) and just edge banding if i use the latter. Fortunately for me, raw baltic birch edges or a slight bullnose is considered "contemporary fashion" these days

My problem is that in my head, MDF core should be cheaper than baltic birch, but on the pricelist of the lumber yard I will be using, it is the same price or more expensive. Shop grade 8x4 mdf core for $60 or baltic birch 5x5 for $50. They didn't provide me with pricing for a1 or b2 face mdf core birch, but I'd assume it is going to be at least $25 more, which is very close to the price of 8x4 baltic birch.

-Christopher
Old 04-22-2013, 12:13 AM

I live in Anacortes.
I try to buy from Edensaw in Port Townsend. They used to concentrate mostly on marine lumber and a lot of timber. They've worked hard over the last few years to get into construction grade materials and do import materials. They've got a larger inventory of sheet goods.
It's nice to find one place where i can get everything from bargain basement import stuff to high end ply to exotic hardwoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff R View Post
Do you live in the Puget Sound area (I think it was you who had a project on the San Juan islands)? If so do you know of a place that keeps Baltic birch or Apple ply in stock - some place that sells to do-it-yourselfers? Dunn Lumber used to have it but I think they stopped carrying it . I think Rockler may have small pieces, but I'd rather buy full sheets.

~ Jeff
Old 04-22-2013, 01:12 AM

Default Seattle WA store

Those in the Pudget Sound area might try http://www.crosscutseattle.com/

http://www.woodcrafters.us/ This is the Portland, OR store, but I think there is a Seattle branch, you would have to email them to find out. If it is wood, they have it. Do not confuse them with the similar named franchise. Very different store. Their slogan "The Woodworkers Candy Store." is right on.

Phil
Old 04-22-2013, 01:41 AM

Cool, I have to stop by that place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philphoto View Post
Those in the Pudget Sound area might try http://www.crosscutseattle.com/

http://www.woodcrafters.us/ This is the Portland, OR store, but I think there is a Seattle branch, you would have to email them to find out. If it is wood, they have it. Do not confuse them with the similar named franchise. Very different store. Their slogan "The Woodworkers Candy Store." is right on.

Phil
Old 04-22-2013, 10:50 PM

also, compton lumber is right across the street from crosscut hardwoods.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:55 PM

So, their c3 actually isn't bad. One side is pretty clear and uniform, while the other may have some patches for knots and whatnot. Perfect for my storage cabinets.

Now I was wondering if particle board core would be OK for slab doors. I know MDF would be the preferred material

Thanks.

-Christopher