The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Clamping Systems

Old 11-28-2013, 08:32 PM

Default Stop-locking bolts

I love the notched stops, which are very versatile, but I've often been annoyed by the soft tip-caps on the locking screws.

One problem is that they don't retract far enough to nicely clear the heads of the screws that are holding my SMEs in place. The threaded holes have been counterbored to partially solve this problem, but that hasn't worked well enough in my setup and always results in having to fiddle to get the stop past the screw head in the track. Also, sometimes the little plastic tip caps split, making the problem worse.

I finally got annoyed enough to look around, and found two good solutions, which I bought from McMaster-Carr:

94323A922 Nylon Thumb Screw with Shoulder, 5/16"-18 Thread, 1" Long, Off-White, packs of 25, $9.63 per pack

90303A145 Socket Head Cap Screw with Nylon Point, 5/16"-18 Thread, 1" Length, 3/32" Point Length $2.92 each

These are shown in the attached photo.

The Cap Screw with Nylon Point is probably the best choice, because the small tip will be less likely to cause the stop to move when it's being tightened, but the Nylon Thumb Screw seems to work well enough and is much cheaper. I see them used in some Incra stuff. On the other hand, one doesn't need many.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6818.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	5812  
Old 11-29-2013, 12:22 AM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Dave,

Good thoughts! When I received my stops, I immediately switched the screws to nylon cap screws. For most purposes, you can grip the cap screw well enough to tighten the screw. If more torque is needed, then use an allen wrench.

Burt

Tags
soft-tip screws, stops