The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > The Old Wood Stove

Old 03-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Default Purchasing advise

So I am going to get my first pro router table. I have used the Bosch portable table for years. Mainly on job sites nothing fancy. I am moving my remodeling business model in SF slowly to focus more on furniture and cabinets. And feel its time to get a real table. I am a huge fan of Woodpecker tools. No sure if it's just the shiny redness, or how well they work. But shininess aside, I know Incra make a great table and fence system also. Any others I should look at? What if any advice can you guys give me. Sounds crazy but money is not an issue. And by that I mean if one is truly better that the rest. That is the one I will go with. I will need a great product that will last. And have no issues with paying for it.

Looking forward to any knowledge or hands on experience I can get.

Cheers, Tom
Old 03-09-2014, 08:57 PM
Default I hae tried a few.

I have tried a few, and I thought I was happy with the custom made table from NS Canada. Then I was introduced to the Incra system. I now have Incra's best system mounted on my Canadian made table. The table is not as important as the fences and set up system. Go with the complete Incra system and you will be set to handle everything thrown at you. Maybe not everything -- I have not encountered the universal everything, but you get the idea. I also went with the complete Freud router bit system for the Incra. It was worth the plunge.

That is my opinion. I have more money than talent (and not much money at that) so that might tell you where I am in skills. Some of the other guys on this forum like Rick, Dik, and Burt have a bunch of skill and can make a silk purse from a sows ear. I, on the other hand have no purse -- so if that is any gauge of measure? I do have one thing that I insist upon, is precise repeatable set up. I hate having to come back and waste a ton of time
trying to make just one more! Been there way too many times.

Hope that helps some,
Forum Administrator
Old 03-09-2014, 09:03 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

When I was doing a lot of cabinet making, I used the Veritas tables from Lee Valley. These are smaller steel tables and I found them to be very durable and to work like a charm. The fences also are good. I even had some of them set up to use a "baby" stockfeedeer. This made them great for doing moldings. The Veritas' aren't pretty but they certainly get the job done.

Also make sure that you have the SSRK on hand. You can't use a stockfeeder with it but a SSRK has some capabilities that surpass a stockfed router table.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:27 PM

Count me in as another very satisfied Incra LS-17 user. The workmanship and quality of the product is impeccable. I have other Incra products, mostly their rules, and I've never been disappointed in any of their products. My table is home-made. I put the money into the fence system. I also recommend a router lift too--it's not required, but it sure makes life easier.
118" track, cabinet maker and far-end repeater, and a UEG

"Don't sweat the petty things,
and don't pet the sweaty things!"
Old 03-10-2014, 06:28 PM

Incra all the way. Nothing compares in my opinion.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:22 AM

No denying Incra makes a great product. I currently use a Woodpecker table and fence and it has worked well for me.