The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Track System Power Tools and Dust Collection

Old 02-15-2017, 11:51 AM
Master Carpenter

Default EZ Freedom

This is the new Makita.
any thoughts?
maybe a dedicated ez system for this one?

https://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Mo...s/CircularSaw/
Old 02-15-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
This is the new Makita.
any thoughts?

As I look at this saw in the context of the EZ-related work I do, I would sum it up this way: framing/job-site saw first; EZ saw...... maybe.

The saw itself looks pretty awesome. Personally, I'm not a fan of having battery operated saws as my first line of defense. Nice for in the field, especially when doing roof or high or move-around-a-lot work, but when I'm planted at one place for most/all of my cutting, I prefer the heft and predictable current draw of a corded saw.

Not a fan of left-blade saws- guess I could learn, tho.

The rear handle is nice.

The light weight would be great if I were using the saw much away from the EZ-1, but when I'm on the EZ track, I prefer a bit of weight

Instead, perhaps, EZ might consider offering an accessory for this saw (universally adaptable to most any saw): a 'clip-on' EZ saw base- a base, that once fitted to your saw, could be easily/quickly installed/removed from a saw. The concept, to me, is sound, and fairly simple to make.

I appreciate Dino/EZ keeping their eyes open to new products that might enhance our EZ experience. I think, tho, many of us are holding out (fading) hope that one day, we'll have a ground-up, all the bells and whistles, zero-cut-line to bevel-cut-line, EZ-specific saw. One can only hope......

Thanks for sharing, Dino,
Rick
Old 02-15-2017, 01:08 PM

Always thought the idea of a rear handle saw was good since it increased your reach, though with the blade raised the handle points more up.
Not sure why you'd choose a cordless tool as a base for a dedicated EZ tool. You're going to be paying extra and it's going to be heavier. Google shows the price of that saw to be $400.
I'd think if you wanted to pick a saw to be dedicated EZ you would struggle to find a better saw than to 5008MGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
This is the new Makita.
any thoughts?

Old 02-15-2017, 03:12 PM

maybe great for the UEG if it's not too heavy, BUT...

-This saw still doesn't solve the bevel line issue

-and I assume most of use use dust extractors, so battery means no automatic on/off of the vacuum. And if you're running a hose to the saw, it's not a big deal to run a power cord.

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Old 02-15-2017, 04:59 PM
Master Carpenter

Guys,
I like the looks and the easy reach.
I agree with all the comments...
always looking for something..

tx
d
Old 02-15-2017, 08:39 PM

If you like the rear handle, look at Milwaukee (sorry it's on "Brand X" track) - plus the handle pivots to suit you. I have P-C, Makita and Hitachi saws, and the Milwaukee is the smoothest, and a nice solid feel too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3308.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	7038  
Old 02-16-2017, 09:02 AM

Default Dust Collection key

I thought I would chime in on this one. First, I agree with Rick that the saw is a framing saw. Makita's, hypoid (worm drive) saws are excellent for framing. I am a worm drive guy. This saw is that type of saw.
I am very accustomed to a blade on the left. In fact, I have the Bosch sidewinder with a left sided blade on my UEG and love it.
IMHO, I think EZSmart needs to concentrate on finding a saw that is cordless and has good dust collection. 99% of the time when I use my easy smart system I am on a job site indoors or where dust collection is important and mostly finish work. The modified circular saws that EZ sells just don't do a very good job at that. So, in reality, probably not a EZSmart problem because the tool manufacturers are only spitting out saws without any dust control built into the saw from the start. That's where Festool gets it.
I am thinking of getting a Makita track saw and trying to adapt it to the EZ track. I like the EZ system with all the add ons. Which I have and use. But, cordless with dust collection for trim work is the ticket, IMO.

Marty
Old 02-16-2017, 10:11 AM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

This saw is definitely interesting. I wonder what it actually weights. The 5 amp hour batteries aren't light.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
This saw is definitely interesting. I wonder what it actually weights. The 5 amp hour batteries aren't light.
Burt, I think I heard 12 lbs. Magnesium saw and the heavy batteries.

Marty
Old 03-02-2017, 04:46 PM

I'm very tempted. I just got a mailing from A supplier and this saw only is $199. I already have the 36V Makita right bladed saw and hardly use a corded saw.

Mike