The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Router Guide Systems

Old 03-14-2010, 05:29 PM

Default Can the SSRK replace a router table?

Has anyone replaced their router table with an SSRK? It seems like it would be cumbersome to mount your material under the routing surface and would require more space since the router would have to travel the length of the workpiece.

Once again, I preface my question with the fact that I am new to woodworking and have never used a router table in my life. If it is easier or better to stick with the SSRK vs building a router table, I am very open to learning the techniques and methods.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC View Post
Has anyone replaced their router table with an SSRK?

Because of some of the things that the SRK/SSRK do so well, I have reduced the number of router tables I have. I'll confess that my router tables are equipped with stock feeders.

It seems like it would be cumbersome to mount your material under the routing surface and would require more space since the router would have to travel the length of the workpiece.

There are two sides to this coin. The way you are suggesting that a router with the SSRK works, it would take 8' to route a 8' board.

With a standard router table, it takes 8' for infeed and 8' for out feed plus some space for the table. The SSRK can work in about half the space required for a traditional router table.

Once again, I preface my question with the fact that I am new to woodworking and have never used a router table in my life. If it is easier or better to stick with the SSRK vs building a router table, I am very open to learning the techniques and methods.
Starting from where you are, I recommend going with the SSRK. I think you can accomplish all of your routing with SSRK. Dino is currently working on some additional tunnel routing techniques.

You don't have knowledge of traditional techniques to confuse you.

Burt
Old 03-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Has anyone replaced their router table with an SSRK? It seems like it would be cumbersome to mount your material under the routing surface and would require more space since the router would have to travel the length of the workpiece.

Peter, What you need is more ezTrust.
Forget about the routing table. The idea of a routing table is a bad afterthought.

With the SSRK you have the freedom to:
A. Slide the router on the track.
B. Push your materials UNDER the router base and against solid fences without any openings.

For 90% of your routing needs, the SSRK is going to be the tool to go.
Keep in mind that we ( eurekazone shop) use the same setup and we make it better every day. Another thing that you have to remember...
The SSRK works with routers, planers, saws, drills and just about any tool that you can imagine.

Very soon we're going to have an optional base for the SSRK and a kit to
transform the SSRK into the first ever Digital Controlled Tunnel Routing system
Here is one sneak preview.

Quote:
Dino,

Damn, that is nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Burt
Old 03-14-2010, 11:55 PM

Dino,

I haven't mounted a router to my SSRK yet... I was just playing with the traveler and trying to get familiar with it and have noticed a few "issues."
  • The hex bolt at the bottom of the router base plate sticks out a little below the bottom causing some scratching of the surface I clamped the guide rail to when I slide the traveler around. I'm not sure how I can deepen the hole for the screw head.
  • The washers used to space the vertical height piece do not have consistent thicknesses so the router base plate is not parallel to the guide rail track. I removed all the washers and tried to match them so they are as close to the same thickness and put them back in. It's much closer on the left and right now (~0.01").
  • There are videos about using the SRK as a story stick but it doesn't look like you can flip the arm of the SSRK upside down to use as a story stick. One solution that I thought might work is to remove the two knobs that control the vertical height adjustment of the router base and use one of the connector extrusion with knob to stick out below and use that as the story stick.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Dino,

I haven't mounted a router to my SSRK yet... I was just playing with the traveler and trying to get familiar with it and have noticed a few "issues."

Hi Peter. how are you going to find out if the ssrk is going to replace the routing table, or take the dangerours tasks away if you don't use it?
  • The hex bolt at the bottom of the router base plate sticks out a little below the bottom causing some scratching of the surface I clamped the guide rail to when I slide the traveler around. I'm not sure how I can deepen the hole for the screw head.

Turn the hex bolt one more turn? Countersounk if needed for another 1/64"?
    You can use a regular drill in reverse to remove 1/64" ( D-trick)

• The washers used to space the vertical height piece do not have consistent thicknesses so the router base plate is not parallel to the guide rail track. I removed all the washers and tried to match them so they are as close to the same thickness and put them back in. It's much closer on the left and right now (~0.01").

The router bit is always perfect parallel to the base even if the base is out by 1/2". Not an issue.

I will look into the washers and maybe we can make our own from plastic.
    Using the SSRK.
    Yes, you can do that with the SSRK. Just don't try it any other way.
  • There are videos about using the SRK as a story stick but it doesn't look like you can flip the arm of the SSRK upside down to use as a story stick. One solution that I thought might work is to remove the two knobs that control the vertical height adjustment of the router base and use one of the connector extrusion with knob to stick out below and use that as the story stick.
You see the open tracks on the extrusions?
The piece that adjusts the Z axis? Insert a narrow piece there and you have the story stick without removing the router base.
This is yet another use of the extra side tracks.
Your idea is even better.
Thanks for the idea. You're going to receive the first upgraded slide.
Actually, all SSRK owners are going to receive a better slide for free.
Nothing is wrong with the current one but we tried another design and we like it.

Just trust the tool and the operator.

Last edited by Dino; 03-15-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Hi Peter. how are you going to find out if the ssrk is going to replace the routing table, or take the dangerours tasks away if you don't use it?
That is why I am asking So people can help me to replace the router table and/or use the SSRK properly and take it to its full potential.

Quote:
Turn the hex bolt one more turn? Countersounk if needed for another 1/64"?
You can use a regular drill in reverse to remove 1/64" ( D-trick)
I did try to turn the hex bolt some more but it looks like the depth that the hole was cut wasn't deep enough.

Quote:
The router bit is always perfect parallel to the base even if the base is out by 1/2". Not an issue.
I will look into the washers and maybe we can make our own from plastic.
Using the SSRK. Yes, you can do that with the SSRK. Just don't try it any other way.

Quote:
There are videos about using the SRK as a story stick but it doesn't look like you can flip the arm of the SSRK upside down to use as a story stick. One solution that I thought might work is to remove the two knobs that control the vertical height adjustment of the router base and use one of the connector extrusion with knob to stick out below and use that as the story stick.
You see the open tracks on the extrusions?
The piece that adjusts the Z axis? Insert a narrow piece there and you have the story stick without removing the router base.
This is yet another use of the extra side tracks.
To use the center connector extrusion track, you'd have to drill a hole somewhere along that vertical piece, wouldn't you?

Quote:
Your idea is even better.
Thanks for the idea. You're going to receive the first upgraded slide.
Actually, all SSRK owners are going to receive a better slide for free.
Nothing is wrong with the current one but we tried another design and we like it.
You can also adjust the height adjustment of the router base lower to use as a story stick (this way, you don't have to remove the router base). I figured the router base not being parallel wouldn't be a problem since it is moving parallel to the guide rail track. However, I was trying to lower the router base plate to use as a story stick and noticed it wasn't parallel so it wouldn't be very reliable to use as a story stick. So I started taking things apart and realized I could use one of the connector extrusions that were used in the height adjustment and use that as a story stick and to check and make sure my guide rail was parallel to the edge. It is narrower than the router base plate so not being exactly parallel wouldn't be as much of a problem.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:58 PM

Their will be operations I don't think would be possible with a ssrk. One includes routing panels vertically. If you could figure it out I am sure it would be cumbersome with ssrk. Some operations will always be much easier, simpler with router mounted inverted in a table, so no a ssrk wouldn't (replace) a router table, just make the need for it less.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:32 AM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe O View Post
Their will be operations I don't think would be possible with a ssrk. One includes routing panels vertically. If you could figure it out I am sure it would be cumbersome with ssrk. Some operations will always be much easier, simpler with router mounted inverted in a table, so no a ssrk wouldn't (replace) a router table, just make the need for it less.
Gabe, this is ez fun.
Today, we install the router on the sliding arm. No base.
The results? Just imagine...

So far, the srk and now the SSRK's are taking over the ez shop.
The "problem" is that we need to rethink how we do things.
For our needs ( eurekazone ) we started mixing machine shop tools and
ez extrusions to build one of a kind setups with unreal results.

I can't say that the SSRK is going to replace the routing table 100%.
But I can tell you that one after the other traditional machine shop and woodworking tools are getting replaced by the SSRK and simple ez jigs.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:02 AM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Gabe,

I assume you mean routing a vertical panel as in making a raised panel with a vertical panel bit.

Clamp the panel on the side of a PBB and route away. Cut quality is better. The panel is held in place while you move the router with the SSRK.

I've also made raised panel doors using a freud horizontal router bit set.

My thought on replacing a router table is pretty close to Dino's. My can't do with a SRK and would prefer to do on a conventional router table lists are getting awfully short.

Burt

Last edited by Burt; 03-18-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Gabe,

That is true if you are using horizontal panel bits, but if you are using vertical panel bits, using the SSRK with the panel clamped vertically to the side of the bench, is better than pushing the panel over the bit on a router table with a high fence. With the latter procedure, there is the chance that you will "bobble" the panel, resulting in a noticeable dip in the routed area. With the EZ method, the panel cannot move and the router bit stays in the same position relative to the panel as the router moves along the edge. The EZ method is a bit slower than using a router table, because you have to clamp the panel before each cut, but the results can be superior to the router table method.

I have built a jig that mounts to the side of the bench that lets me machine small pieces with the SSRK. I have also routed sliding dovetails using the SSRK and a jig mounted to the side of the bench.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models